Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: plastic rim broken (balance ring?) around front edge of tub  (Read 387 times)

Offline walkingonedge

• VIP Member

Our Kenmore HE3 Elite stopped working recently when my wife put in a heavier load of clothing than normal. The washer is probably about 10 years old. During the wash cycle, the error code F 002 appearing (drain problem). The tub wonít fully drain now.

At the same time part of a white hard plastic rim around the tub, connected to the washer boot and the tub, broke off. The majority of the hard white plastic piece is still there, but 50% of the circumference of it came loose or came off completely. The tub still spins, but not smoothly through a full rotation. For about 20% of a rotation through 360 degrees, the tub moves about 2 cm off center.

I believe the issue is a broken balance ring, but am not sure. Thoughts? Also, how do I make sure I get the right balance ring replacement part?

Offline walkingonedge

• VIP Member
Re: plastic rim broken (balance ring?) around front edge of tub
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:53 PM »
The model number of the washer is a Kenmore 42822. Apologies that didnít include that info!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 04:39:36 AM »
 it appears that your model number is incomplete

Offline George227

• Technician
  • In the Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
That sounds like bad suspension rods. Bad rod will cause violent shaking which will break plastic ring.

Offline walkingonedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »
Thanks all! Turned out the tub itself was broken. Was not worth repairing given cost. I ended up buying a new washer.