Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: AFCI Nuisance Tripping  (Read 344 times)

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
AFCI Nuisance Tripping
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:54:42 PM »

Anyone seen any issues with arc fault circuit interrupter circuit breakers? I've seen two. First one was an OTR microwave that would intermittently trip. I didn't do anything to it, maintenance replaced the breaker with a regular one. The second was a gas range, would trip every time they tried to bake. Replaced a perfectly good bake igniter in a 2 year old range. It used to be required on only the bedroom circuits, now they're required on almost every 120 volt branch circuit in the house. They're expensive too, a regular 20 amp breaker at Lowe's is around $4, an AFCI is $43. I have 18 single pole breakers in my panel. If I had to replace every one, it would be almost $800.

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
Re: AFCI Nuisance Tripping
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
Yep . Putting them in my new construction house this week . No other choice ( At least until it,s inspected and with full power) . Seen issues out of ACFI and GFI.
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Atech

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
Lots of issues here as well. Usually it's a refrigerator or freezer on a garage circuit in these parts. 

Dave

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 08:00:28 AM »
Had one last week , had the GFI removed and a standard receptacle installed , no more problems . What do the manufacturers say about using GFI on appliances

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
The absolute worst are the common neutral wiring jobs. A short or fault on one leg will trip both circuits.