Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Brand new LG installed 17 months ago....LSFXC2496D  (Read 674 times)

Offline swong

• VIP Member
Brand new LG installed 17 months ago....LSFXC2496D
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »

Need some ideas how to pursue this issue which finally reared it's ugly head this morning.  We have/had a brand new LG french door refrigerator (model LSFXC2496D) which was installed November 1st, 2017.  The unit was performing flawlessly for 17 consecutive months until this morning when I reach in for a splash of milk for my morning coffee only to find the gallon container was warm to the touch.  Quick look at the refrigerator compartment thermometer validated the temps in the refrigerator compartment was 46 degrees Fahrenheit.  Got the wife out of bed and together we went thru reading the owners manual the umpteenth time and decided proactively to vacuum out the condenser coils.  Had some dust bunnies but nothing huge.  Vacuumed out best we could then proceed to pack both frozen foods and refrigerator contents and drove them over to brother-in-law to store.  Come back then see the refrigerator "might" be quasi-functional as the temp now reads 34 which to me is still not cold enough.I've been leery about this LG refrigerator however we won this unit via sweepstakes so my initial cost was nothing.  I know many posts on this forum state LG's linear compressors are garbage, service and support are even worse, and I'm sorry I donated the 10-year old Frigidaire 14 cubic foot refrigerator hence no fallback options other than re-purchase.  Currently we have this unreliable empty LG french door powered up and the compressor hasn't even cycled off in hours which to me is a clear indication something is definitely wrong with the unit.  Asked around and a buddy of mine says to leave the LG at specified temps (37 degrees for the fridge and 0 degrees for the bottom freezer) just to see if the compressor finally shuts off after the temps stabilize. I'm now seriously avoiding and recommending Samsung, Frigidaire, and LG for obvious reasons! Need a "plan B" just in case the compressor continues to run continuously.  Thoughts anyone?

Offline swong

• VIP Member
Update: 4/30/2019 problem resolved ..... picture attached
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 04:00:39 AM »
Attached jpeg shows the final fix for our ailing LG french door refrigerator which started acting up after only 17 months of service.  This is the dreaded LG with their infamous linear compressor which fails at alarming rates.  Long story short no amount of calls to LG would return a satisfactory outcome sufficient to keep me content.  Got so sick and tired of being handed off from LG personnel and cannot help but believe LG fights a battle of attrition or patience until unwitting consumers give up out of frustration.  Long story short, we purchased a Whirlpool (model WRT518SZFM) top freezer 18-cubic foot refrigerator and had the delivery men cart this problematic LG LSFXC2496D away.  Been without a refrigerator for almost a week, ordering takeout all during this time and hopefully we can get back to normal.  Having refrigeration at home is a necessity nowadays especially as a senior citizen requiring our medication to be adequately refrigerated.  Moral of the story is avoid LG refrigerators at all costs especially anything with their dreaded "linear compressor".  We are back down to a 18 cubic footer (versus 23 cubic foot on the failure prone LG) but I would gladly sacrifice  added cooling volume for reliability always!  This new Whirlpool WRT518SZFM has the condenser coils buried on the back bottom which I am not too thrilled about as cleaning the condenser coils is NOT easy.  I was shopping for a model which had condenser coils hanging off the back externally however all manufacturers appears to be weaning themselves off of this type of design.  No properly way of really cleaning buried condenser coils short of blowing them out with a garage type air compressor which makes a mess in the kitchen. Right now I am actively seeking a Whirlpool WRT518SZFM service manual just to have available so if anyone has or knows where to source this publication please reply back. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:04:02 AM by swong »

Offline swong

• VIP Member
Re: Brand new LG installed 17 months ago....LSFXC2496D
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »
Below is the link to the current class action lawsuit going on against LG refrigerators.  Please share if others are foolish (like myself) who wasted hard earned dollars  on attractive but failure prone!
https://www.girardsharp.com/work-pending-lg-fridge-class-action?fbclid=IwAR0_x9ZikGBly4-DAkUrcPYnJxqk31EuFVZg8GIPUxudaioKLVvd-ShSo_U

Offline swong

• VIP Member
Another site offering services against LG refrigerators....
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
In the hope of getting LG to stop pushing any and all of their failure prone refrigerators especially that have the infamous linear compressor here's another web site which offers harmed customers a avenue for regress.  Hoping to get this info out to as many unsuspecting customers of LG refrigerators.  I would not have pursued this as actively had my defective LSFXC2496 had NOT cost $4200 in 2017 when I foolishly acquired this piece of junk but in hope of preventing others from wasting their hard earned money I do this as a public service.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LG_fridge

Offline swong

• VIP Member
In the interest of keeping everyone informed how financially damaging LG is causing selling their failure prone linear compressor refrigerators below is a FaceBook link clearly  identifying how many people were duped into purchasing LG refrigerators.  I'm currently on a personal mission to dissuade any prospective refrigerator purchaser from ever considering LG refrigerators.  My thoughts are if you are going to sell junk at least keep the price of your failure prone devices as cheap as possible and no where close to $4200 which my LSFXC2496D retailed for!
https://www.facebook.com/LGAppliancesJUNK/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:01 AM »
Posted this morning on Facebook, Twitter, all social media sites, ConsumerReports, LG's Twitter site, and other places too numerous to mention.....

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
2nd attempt...this time in pdf format...please share with friends and family

Offline swong

• VIP Member
Newest LG update .... Banned from viewing or posting on all LG sites
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
In the interest of keeping those following this particular thread I thought I would share the latest update how LG is able to dump thousands of their failure prone refrigerators upon the unsuspecting public.  As many of you are aware I am trying to obtain a fair and equitable settlement having foolishly acquired a 2017 model year high end LG french door refrigerator only to have it died after only 17 months of service.  No amount of emails or calls to any of the LG support organizations would return a fair reimbursement hence I started calling LG out on all the LG sites and community forums.  This included both their Twitter and Face Book sites and before you knew it I can permanently banned from both viewing and posting.  If this just happened to me imagine how many other angry LG owners have also had this restriction placed upon them making it appear there are minimal if not rare occurrences of LG refrigerators requiring repairs.  Exacerbating matter is the fact many retailers who have sweetheart deals selling LG appliances also "cherry pick" on favorable posted reviews.  The appliance dealer industry and manufacturers are riddled with quite a few dishonest players.  Amazon and AJMadison are notably extremely slick retailers almost to be borderline part of this gang of thieves.  Moral of this is one or more bad players has the potential of giving the whole industry a very stench and black eye for all. That is also why LG can continue to stay in business unloading hundred of thosands of failure prone appliances into the market

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
LG has a new compressor and software update that must be done to the mainboard that supposedly fixes the issues.
Part numbers to order one is LG Compressor TCA38091801 & Software Jig TCA35911910
Compressor has a purple decal and red decal on top warning about the software update.

FLS075LANA is the new compressor model number
It replaces these older LG/Kenmore Elite compressor versions:
FC75LBNA
FLA075LANA
FLB075LANA
FLB075LBNA

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »

Thanks for sharing Houptee but I ended up tossing out the LG french door refrigerator and went back to Home Depot and purchased a Whirlpool top freezer 2-door 18 cubic footer and now risk adverse to anything LG.  They've screwed over way too many consumers and every chance I get I caution others never ever consider LG especially their refrigerators.  Beautiful refrigerators but at the end of the day I need dependable refrigeration over having a "hanger queen".  Interesting to note if these news LG compressors are "non-linear inverter types and have gone back to the piston type which are extremely depended at the expense of being slightly noisier. 

BTW, I paid $628 (out the door) for the WRT518SZFM Whirlpool refrigerator and as luck would have it it went on sale right after my Home Depot delivery.  I went back to HD and ask for a price adjustment.  Price went further downwards by HD competitors so I also request a Citibank Price Rewind which was a Citibank promotion guaranteeing the lowest price within the next 90 days after I mad the Whirlpool purchase.  Long story is after I got a total of 4 refunds  and credit card rebates my "out the door price" eventually was $428....sweet!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:06:32 PM by swong »

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
Oh wow good deal I never knew about the citibank rewind thing good to know.

The new compressor is a Linear also because the mainboard sends a variable voltage and frequency to vary the speed of the compressor.
LG is the only company that makes a "Linear" compressor.
Other variable speed compressors have a crankshaft like the old tried and true compressors but can vary speeds with a inverter control system.
Samsung calls theirs "Digital Inverter Compressors" but they are not Linear design.

So time will tell if this newer LG compressor will be more durable than the first generation models.

There is a guy on YouTube that came up with a way to put a old single speed compressor into a LG by using the signal that turns on the fan next to the compressor to trigger a relay to start and stop a regular compressor.

Here is the video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJ0EZE3tx8&list=PLw9wSQ08iHfgytNEYkPbMpfOO1-dcyJ50&index=25&t=7s

Offline smart19777

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
houptee, thank you for video. I will try use this idea.

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
Thanks again Houptee for the url to the youtube video.  I would be very wary modifying the standard piston type compressor for use on a LG refrigerator not because I doubt if it would work reliably but for insurance reasons.  Hate to find out the house either catches fire or completely burns down for a non approved UL workaround.  Instances like this your home insurance company has every right not to pay out on a claim.  I will pay note of others attempting this workaround along with seeing if this new gen2 LG fix is reliable.  As alluded to earlier I've given up LG as a vendor of choice based upon their failure prone linear compressor, LG's very dismissive attitude, and how I among many were treated.  Me, I would expect at least 10 years of trouble free service from any refrigerator which was not the case with LG.  No more LG for me ever!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:27:06 PM by swong »