Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow  (Read 180 times)

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow
« on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »

I have a Samsung French Door fridge (Model RFG297HDRS/XAA) that decided to make a puddle in the kitchen this morning. The water was coming from the ice maker.

I couldn't get to the water shut off quickly enough as it's really wedged in the spot it lives so I cycled power to the fridge instead. This seems to have fixed the issue (temporarily). It's happily making ice right now . . . waiting for me to lower my guard and to then proceed to flood my kitchen. At least.

We have hard-ish water here so I'm thinking there was a valve stuck open. The unit is just over 5 years since install (service plan ran out in January, of course).

I am not using a water filter in the unit, fwiw, nor a water softener in the home.

Advice and suggestions on the fix appreciated. I'm expecting I'll need to replace some assembly that contains a valve, just a hunch.

I'm fairly handy but appreciate diagrams, pics, etc.  :thanks: Oh, and if there's a part I can test, I'd love to do that before sinking $$$ into "maybe". :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:25:13 PM by ruacht »

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
I did find this link:
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/answers-for-samsung-assy-case-water-da97-11433a-ap5332060-question-232008.html

And it sounds like a similar problem. Is there any way to definitively test the part(s) involved from the current unit to see if they are the issue? I've done enough rabbit-down-the-hole chasing on car repairs to know that just because I swap this part out doesn't mean the problem will go away. Intermittent problems are a pain.  :(

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
I don't work on these but found this service bulletin.Maybe someone else will chime in! May pertain to your problem or not.

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »
I don't work on these but found this service bulletin.Maybe someone else will chime in! May pertain to your problem or not.

Thanks dab147315.

I read through it, my unit was manufactured March 2011, apparently. So I'd need to replace both the ASSY CASE-WATER FILTER TANK   (DA97-11433A) and the main PCB (DA92-00147B)? Any idea why the PCB has to be replaced also if it's a mechanical issue with the valve? Is the replacement part incompatible with the older, original PCB, or is there a concern that a fault in the PCB kept the potentially functional valve open? Looking at $350+ in parts alone with both of those. Still cheaper than a new unit, but ideally don't want to replace parts that aren't broken.  :)

Anyone have the service manual for this unit? That would be a huge help. I can do the repair myself at least if I have that.