Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow  (Read 347 times)

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow
« on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »

I have a Samsung French Door fridge (Model RFG297HDRS/XAA) that decided to make a puddle in the kitchen this morning. The water was coming from the ice maker.

I couldn't get to the water shut off quickly enough as it's really wedged in the spot it lives so I cycled power to the fridge instead. This seems to have fixed the issue (temporarily). It's happily making ice right now . . . waiting for me to lower my guard and to then proceed to flood my kitchen. At least.

We have hard-ish water here so I'm thinking there was a valve stuck open. The unit is just over 5 years since install (service plan ran out in January, of course).

I am not using a water filter in the unit, fwiw, nor a water softener in the home.

Advice and suggestions on the fix appreciated. I'm expecting I'll need to replace some assembly that contains a valve, just a hunch.

I'm fairly handy but appreciate diagrams, pics, etc.  :thanks: Oh, and if there's a part I can test, I'd love to do that before sinking $$$ into "maybe". :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:25:13 PM by ruacht »

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker Water Overflow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
I did find this link:
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/answers-for-samsung-assy-case-water-da97-11433a-ap5332060-question-232008.html

And it sounds like a similar problem. Is there any way to definitively test the part(s) involved from the current unit to see if they are the issue? I've done enough rabbit-down-the-hole chasing on car repairs to know that just because I swap this part out doesn't mean the problem will go away. Intermittent problems are a pain.  :(

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
I don't work on these but found this service bulletin.Maybe someone else will chime in! May pertain to your problem or not.

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »
I don't work on these but found this service bulletin.Maybe someone else will chime in! May pertain to your problem or not.

Thanks dab147315.

I read through it, my unit was manufactured March 2011, apparently. So I'd need to replace both the ASSY CASE-WATER FILTER TANK   (DA97-11433A) and the main PCB (DA92-00147B)? Any idea why the PCB has to be replaced also if it's a mechanical issue with the valve? Is the replacement part incompatible with the older, original PCB, or is there a concern that a fault in the PCB kept the potentially functional valve open? Looking at $350+ in parts alone with both of those. Still cheaper than a new unit, but ideally don't want to replace parts that aren't broken.  :)

Anyone have the service manual for this unit? That would be a huge help. I can do the repair myself at least if I have that.

Offline ruacht

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »
*waves a hand* still looking for any input or help.

My current "fix" is that I added a line and a valve in so I can easily turn off the water at night or when we're away for any extended period of time (the valve at the wall is inaccessible when the fridge is in its cubby).

I'm still worried it's going to stick open again when I don't have it cut off.  :(