Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag MDBH979SAM0 goes off on its own  (Read 505 times)

Offline Matt Cook

• VIP Member
Maytag MDBH979SAM0 goes off on its own
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »

This 6-yr-old dishwasher started showing lights going on (steady and blinking) on the control panel.  I shut the door and it ran all night without stopping.  I cut power for a couple of hours then turned it back on. With the door open the Cancel light was on steady. Push Cancel and it goes off, and Normal and Heated Dry come on, and Wash and Start blink.  Push Cancel and they all go off and Cancel is on steady.

Then close the door it starts making noises (like draining maybe) for 1-2 minutes then stops; no lights come on.  Left alone, after a while Normal and Heated Dry came on, then Wash and Start came on, and it started making noises again and started to fill.  Pushing Cancel did not stop it so I opened the door and pushed Cancel (it stopped), then closed the door; Normal, Wash, and Start were lit.  It drained, and Start began blinking.  I opened the door

I left it alone (door open) and Wash and Start were blinking, and Normal and Heated Dry were on steady.  Now Heated Dry is off, Normal is on, Wash is blinking, and Start is blinking rapidly.  Any help appreciated.

Offline oman76

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag MDBH979SAM0 goes off on its own
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
I would replace the control panel. If it drains then main board most likely ok. More common issue when lights blink is a shorted control panel.

Offline Matt Cook

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
Sorry for the late thanks.  I cut power and unscrewed the top of the door to look.  There was a little bit of burned looking area on the control panel ribbon cable but not nearly as bad as I have seen in some videos, and no obvious discontinuity.  I detached and re-attached the ribbon cable; the connections were very clean with no corrosion or rust evident.  Put the power back on and the same light configuration was there. 

I then set it for a Normal Wash and Heated Dry cycle; the buttons lit up normally when I pushed them and the machine started. The cycle usually takes about 2.5 hours.  It seemed to act normally as I checked in on it for the first 90 minutes or so.  After a couple of hours, the Start/Resume button started blinking and Wash was still lit.  Pressing Start/Resume did nothing.  Opened the door and it appeared to have finished the cycle (hot moist air rushed out the open door but the tub was basically dry inside).

Does that confirm the control panel diagnosis, or suggest something else?  Thanks again.  Just trying to be as certain as possible before spending $150 on a new control panel.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
I would replace the control panel. If it drains then main board most likely ok. More common issue when lights blink is a shorted control panel.
Go with the user interface.

Offline Matt Cook

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »
Want to say thanks for the input.  I replaced the (really expensive) control panel in about 20 minutes and am back to normal.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:31:07 AM »
So you replaced the user interface?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:34:01 AM by dab147315 »

Offline Matt Cook

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
The appliance's user interface is the control panel (which I replaced), unless your question is not literal, in which case I apologize for not understanding the question.