Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE wwse5240g0ww washer leak  (Read 397 times)

Offline eng3

• VIP Member
GE wwse5240g0ww washer leak
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »

I have a GE wwse5240g0ww.  From looking under the tub, I see water leaking from the center and assumed a tub seal issue.  The leak was small, maybe 1 drop every 2 seconds.

It was quite difficult getting the washer disassembled.  I had to spray penetrating oil and it took several hours just to get the Agitator Coupling off.  The hub nut was so stuck that it took a full 10 seconds with an impact wrench to get it off.  It took a few minutes to get the split ring off.  The hub washer was also stuck.  It took a few hours of penetrating oil to get that off.

The tub seal was quite deteriorated.  I cleaned out the area the best I could and installed the new tub seal.  Per videos online, I put dishwashing soap on there to help it in.  It went in quite easily, I thought it would have been a very tight fit.  It was loose enough that if I tried to rotate it, I could spin it with my hand a little.

I tried filling the tub with water up to the seal to check for leaks and saw the leak was worse, a small steady stream of water.

Thinking, that maybe the seal needs weight on it or needs to run a cycle to fully seat properly, I reassembled the washer.  I noticed that with the groove on the shaft, the tub washer doesnt touch the top of the tub seal.  I thought that it was supposed to hold the seal down but perhaps not.  anyways, after reassembly and running a cycle, the leak was the same, maybe a little worse.

I disassembled again (much smoother this time though the agitator coupling was still hard to get off).  I noticed the tub seal is now up on the shaft.  I guess spinning pulled it out?  I attached a photo

I'd appreciate some advice on how to proceed.  Perhaps, the seal is defective?

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Re: GE wwse5240g0ww washer leak
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
I've never had to lubricate a GE washer seal to put it in. That could be your problem.

Offline oman76

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
From my experience the solution to your problem is the tub. When I worked for Sears Blue Crew we did plenty of them. We were replacing only the seal but at one point we came across the same problem your are having. Ultimately we just started replacing tub and seal together to avoid re-do's. Tub part# WH45X20473. Either your tub flared out from heat caused by tub bearing or the seal you got is from a bad batch from manufacturer.

Offline eng3

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
I can put it in without lubricating.  The only reason I did was from some online videos.

o I got a "genuine ge" seal, it came in GE packaging.

It fit slight tighter this time but still easy to go in.

And still leaking

I'm not sure what else to try now.

I don't really understand how the seal is supposed to work. When the shaft spins, wouldn't it quickly wear out the rubber?
Is the rubber supposed to expand from heat?

All I did to test was to fill the tub up with water without the basket installed.
But with the last seal, I did completely reassemble everything and it still leaked

If the tub flared out, I dont understand why the leaking with the new seal would be worse than the leak with the old one.

Also, I tried filling up the water just so the outer edge of the seal was submerged but not the inner edge (around the shaft) and it did not seem to leak.
It only seemed to leak when the inner part of the seal where it meets the shaft meets.

How difficult is it to replace the tub?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:12:22 AM by eng3 »

Offline Atech

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »
This is an example of why our service company does not offer seal replacements. By the time you find the leak there is usually so much corrosion that the new seal doesn't take. You can try cleaning the transmission shaft with emery cloth, but if the new seal has been roughed up it is probably already damaged.

Dave