Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana dryer, timer starts and heating element heats on it's own  (Read 347 times)

Offline jatchis

• VIP Member

I have an Amana NED4600YQ0 model Electric dryer. The wife complained of the cabinet being hot after the cycle ended, and that clothes inside were hotter than they should be. Googling the symptoms led me to first order/replace the cycling thermostat, but the symptoms were unchanged. Next I replaced the timer, finished the job, reconnected power, and walked away from it to tell her it was fixed. I came back a few minutes later, and found the timer advanced (I had left it in the OFF position, and had not hit the start button) and found the cabinet warm to the touch. She also said that this has happened in the past even with the door open. More googling, and reading the wiring diagram I found inside the top console led me to believe the centrifugal switch in the motor must be bad, so I just finished disassembling the thing, took the motor out, and put my meter across pins 1 & 2 (the red wires at either end of the plug), but it seems that switch is operating properly ... at rest, there is no continuity across those pins, but when I manually move the collar inwards, the contacts close. Can that switch still be bad, even though the meter seems to say it's working properly? I would hate to now dump the money into a new motor (can't buy that switch separately) just to have to turn around and buy a new dryer. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Amana dryer, timer starts and heating element heats on it's own
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »
Did you check for a grounded heating element! Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ0lqcSa-I4

Offline jatchis

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
BINGO!

I saw this while googling, too, but didn't see a path that would turn on the heater AND start the timer motor with the timer in the OFF position (which is where I left it). But I'm good at taking advice, so put my meter on the terminal, and touched the shell, and found continuity. I removed the heating element, and there are no broken wires, but where the wire goes from the front half to rear half of the element, that wire had "sagged" and was making contact with the metal brace that supports the element. I tightened the coils slightly at both points, and it's now above that brace by more than 1/4". I'll reassemble, and if the symptoms are solved, I'll get a new element on it's way.

THANKS!!

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:53:32 PM »
I am curious as to how you were able to tighten the coils to prevent the sagging problem. I have taken many of these units of this type apart and once the coils sag it is difficult if not impossible to correct . ???

Offline jatchis

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
All I did was re-form the coils slightly in the direction they were originally wound. This lifted the wire off the metal frame. I have ordered a replacement, this was just a temporary fix so we could get some laundry done, but it did the job!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:11 AM »
Since you had a sagging element clean your vent and also take of the back panel and clean out the lint shroud like in this video! Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqlFX0VRQo&feature=em-share_video_user