Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer  (Read 944 times)

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
Re: Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »

Yes
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »
I have the front cover off and was able to reach it with some difficulty and grasp the pulley with my hands. I can turn it CCW fairly easily but it is difficult to turn in the CW direction. My helper tells me when I turn it at the pulley in the CCW direction it does not turn the drum. When I attempt to turn it CW at the pulley it does not turn the drum . If I really put some effort into it I can get the transmission assembly to turn  but it is hard to turn it. Any thoughts ?

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
Remove the splash guard then the bolts holding the spin basket in . See if any clothing items have it locked up . If that`s not the case look under the hub that holds the basket and see if there is build up from the outer tub up to the hub that the spin basket sets on . This is where I would start .
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
I was able to finally remove the basket form the outer tub using my home made puller  that actually worked pretty good.  I dont have a puller for the splined  bell adaptor so I cannot tell if there is anything under it but using my fingers there does not appear to be anything under it. There was no clothing in or around or under the basket. Quite a bit of lint type scum around the top section which I dont think is causing the problem. I am going to put it back together and see what happens.  Any more suggestions you can offer are really appreciated.

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
The basket the tub sets on.... did you feel under the spin hub? Between the spin hub and the outer tub is where I find a mixture of soap , lint, rust and fabric softener. If nothing is there then you have the spin bearings, brake system and transmission to look at .
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks. I will hook up the hoses and test it  as soon as I get back from Easter dinners and see what happens.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
Put things back together and the results are the same. Belt squealing when it gets to the spin portion of the cycle.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
I decided to try a little different approach on the belt problem. I used the spring with the orange sleeve and hooked the anchor  end of it around the frame just above the normal mounting hole. It provides a little more tension on the idler pulley arm. It seems to improve the problem somewhat. I will run a small load of clothes in the unit today and see if it does any good .

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
I ran a very small load of clothes thru a  regular cycle today  to see if I had made any change to the problem area. The problem is the same  in that the belt starts to squeal when it gets to the spin portion of the cycle and I am about to give up. Any suggestions from anyone. ?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »
> Split the cost with another service company and they won't even let local companies borrow it. It's that valuable. Could make one out of an old inner tube I imagine. Say for a 12 inch wheel and somehow cut it in half (making a u shape) and seal the ends.(so you could slip it under the agitator) Using an air compressor to inflate is basically the same thing. I bet a local tire company could make one. And being thinner may even work better. Will see if I can get pictures.

Theoldstoveguy:

Air is compressible and won't do it, but water would.

You should be able to take an inner tube a little smaller diameter than the agitator (maybe from a trailer tire?) and hook up a water line, stretch it over the agitator bottom, slip it under and inflate it with water.

I can't imagine why that wouldn't work and should only be a few bucks for a tube,

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »
Thanks very much for the helpful hints. I made up a puller arrangement with long bolts and some aluminum extrusions (2) that fit under the outer edge of the agitator  and it worked OK  this time but I will look at making the inner tube type  as soon as I can. Also I talked to a Speed Queen guy today and asked him about removing the bell adaptor. He suggested two claw hammers on opposite sides  if I didn't want to buy the tool they sell. I may try that also when I have the need to take one apart.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
After reviewing the squealing noise and talking to the Speed Queen folks again, it was suggested  that  the problem was due to the brake  binding up and causing the belt to squeal when the unit went into spin mode.. The guy at the factory said it may be worthwhile to put some Hi temp silicone grease in the area of the brake pads where they are in contact with the pulley surface. I have done that and the squeal noise stopped. I am not sure this is a good idea but it worked. Comments ? I may still tear it all apart as the bearings are noisy at  high speed  and replace the affected parts.