Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer  (Read 950 times)

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:23:23 AM »

On the  Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer when the belt smokes (just a few years old) , is there usually any other causes besides overloading ( I know it`s a clutch belt ) ?  Back in the day  when I worked on several SQ the belt going bad due to age or overloading was the major causes. I did see a few other causes here and there i.e. something stuck between tub and drum or top bearing ect . Going out this afternoon....

Ross
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline rkious1

• Technician
Re: Pre-2018 Speed Queen top load washer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »
Under the hub I found a large deposit of rust/detergent/fabric softer that had hardened while it was in storage . Cleaned it out and it ran fine . 
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 01:06:40 AM »
I am considering taking on a job involving the same type of washer you describe but may not want to do it due to a basic disassembly problem. Specifically this unit of Speed Queen uses an agitator that is installed on the vertical shaft splines and after a few hundred loads it seizes on these splines and is almost impossible to remove without destroying it. Does anyone have a removal idea that works without cutting it apart. I have tried a puller after soaking the area with very good penetrating oil and many other ideas but no success. Any new ideas would be appreciated.

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
I was given a Speed Queen washer unit for free with no info as to any problems. The model number AWS44NW and s/n indicate it is 16 years old but in very clean condition. I hooked up a set of hoses and ran a low volume of water but no clothes. It ran properly but when it went into the spin portion of cycle it was pretty loud. I suspect the bearings were getting worn quite a bit.  No water leaks however.One aspect of these units  is the bearing removal and replacement difficulty. In order to get at the bearings is the removal of the plastic agitator and then the plastic drive bell both of which are splined to each other and ultimately to the main shaft. I tried to remove the agitator  using normal efforts and tools to no avail. Is there any way to get this item off without destroying it which I ended up doing a few years ago. ?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 03:50:42 PM »
The Speed queen washer tool kit 725P3 has a pair of little pullers that slip on each side of the agitator that usually does the trick for me . Your Mileage may vary ...

Ross Kious 
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
Is this tool kit available off the shelf ? Any idea as to cost ?

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
The complete tool kit is fairly cheap at https://www.partsking.com/p/725P3.html?matchtype=&network=g&device=c&adposition=1o1&keyword=&campaign=680110710&adgroup=aud-366432059452:pla-380686067989&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA34wflXHmeV1-uDFO2ub_F4ByS_A_ZqtdAbxFQv4-GdMK2zNmQj8rkqBoCaU8QAvD_BwE   

I would say from 28.00 to $40.00 for the complete kit . All the stuff to work on a speed queen but the Bell puller . You can Crack-and-go on the plastic Bell if it refuses to come off, so that`s not in the "Needed" tool list .

K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
Some of you old guys probably remember a tool called the Agi Tamer , now that was a great tool for removing agitators , I think its NLA . It was a horse shoe shaped inner tube bladder that you slid under the agitator and filled it with water from a washer fill hose and it would force the agitator up and off the the gearcase . Some washers were pretty tricky because you needed about 1/4 inch gap to get the tool under the agitator. 

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Worked on the old belt driven whirlpool washers 80,s and before. A lot of the new ones that space is just not there...
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
Sure would be nice to find one of these !!!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
I have one (found on eBay years ago) and use it a lot on the Speed Queen washers. Liberally spray with soapy water and work it under. Even the tool Speed Queen suggest doesn't beat it.

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
I had heard of the bladder type tool you mention and would like to know if you would be able to take some pictures of it and dimensions and if there is a mfg name on it anywhere. I wold even be willing to pay you for the use of it if that is possible and then send it back to you. Let me know at my e-mail address as follows:   jaybird@mtco.com     Thanks

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
Split the cost with another service company and they won't even let local companies borrow it. It's that valuable. Could make one out of an old inner tube I imagine. Say for a 12 inch wheel and somehow cut it in half (making a u shape) and seal the ends.(so you could slip it under the agitator) Using an air compressor to inflate is basically the same thing. I bet a local tire company could make one. And being thinner may even work better. Will see if I can get pictures.

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
I found that the washer I have does not have a significant bearing problem . It does  however  have a lid switch problem which I have temporarily bypassed. I am unable to find a parts listing for this unit and need some help. This unit with model number SWNMN2PP112TW01 and is a bare bones unit that was removed from a jail. It works well but if anyone can provide some help for a parts and a service manual  it would be handy.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
Here is a service manual!Parts also!

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
> Some of you old guys probably remember a tool called the Agi Tamer

I used to have one of those. It worked great, but you needed to keep your face out of the way when the agitator finally let loose. 8-)

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 05:35:40 AM »
I just bought at a very low price a used Speed Queen top load  commercial washer with model number SWNMN2PP112TWo1. This is a bare bones washer used in institutions. It had a problem in that the belt was squealing and smoking slightly when it went into spin mode . The unit has a s/n 1307008952 which I believe was built in 2013. The unit looks good and runs well otherwise. The belt idler pulley has a lip on either side of the flat section one of which was broken off. The belt was also slightly worn in one section. Both are on order to be replaced. In checking the drain pump it turns free but does not spin as easy as I expected. A little drag but not much. Also the idler pulley lever seems to be a little floppy on the bolt that supports it and I cannot see any way to tighten the fit.  If anyone can provide some insight on this model as to expected wear items and if it would be wise to replace more parts please advise. The main shaft bearings appear to be in good shape and there are no leaks. Help !

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
The unit in question is not responding to my efforts to repair it. I put in a new  idler pulley and all the parts associated with it plus a new belt. One of the items in the kit I purchased was a different idler belt spring . Looks to have a different tension spec than the original. The original had a grey sleeve and the newer one has an orange sleeve. Started it up with a few items of clothing to test it. It ran OK until it got to the rinse and spin portion of the cycle. It started to squeal and burn the belt. In order to save the belt I unplugged it and checked everything and could not find a problem.  I am at my  wits end and need some advice from folks with more experience on this model of Speed Queen

Offline rkious1

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 06:07:50 PM »
Does the drive pulley go both ways fairly easy?
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Online Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
Do you mean the pulley on the bottom of the main shaft ?