Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag MVWC565FW0 Washer Out of Balance During Spin Cycle  (Read 640 times)

Offline xenon

• VIP Member
Maytag MVWC565FW0 Washer Out of Balance During Spin Cycle
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »

Bad vibration/Shake during spin cycle. Diagnostic Code FE41: washer out of balance
Washer shakes during spin both when empty or with clothes
Washer less than 2 years old but has been overloaded frequently
What I have tried so far:
New Whirlpool Certified Parts Suspension Rod Kit ($79.) Originals were green plastic, new
ones are green plastic. No difference in vibration after install of new rods

Leveled and Re-Leveled Washer on concrete slab floor
Checked belt and pulley
Checked for foreign object tub/basket
Placed heavy rubber 5/8" thick vibration mat under washer
Plastic feet are screwed in all the way, rear feet are not self-leveling

What am I missing here?
Thanks for any help.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Maytag MVWC565FW0 Washer Out of Balance During Spin Cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:49 AM »
Have you did the calibration mode.Page 4 in the tech sheet?

Offline xenon

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
Forgot to add that to list of things tried.
Before calibration washer would make several attempts to spin. Stop/start, gears clicking and then only getting into a very slow spin.
After calibration I get a real high speed spin but with very bad vibe/shake.

Offline xenon

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
This is a link to the washer prior to calibrating:
https://youtu.be/4wjjXAJGf3w

This is the washer after calibration:
https://youtu.be/_WB31mS7gMQ

Offline Atech

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
The first thing I would do is get rid of the rubber mat. Then tip the washer forward and raise the rear legs and lock them in place. The washers  need to be level, but it is more important that it doesn't rock from corner to corner. Whichever front foot has the most play while rocking, adjust that foot out until there is no play. I use channel locks. Then, once a basic level is attained, run the washer in spin mode. Keep your fingers on the feet where they touch the concrete. You'll be able to feel which foot is moving more. The one with the most play/movement adjust out slowly while the washer is running, until you have no give at all. After they are level you can then lock them in place with the lock washers so they don't move.

If the washer cabinet has a lot of play after you lock the feet in there is a good possibility that the metal has fatigued. The molecules can kind of stretch and lose there rigidity. Once this happens there is no fixing it.

Also remember that smaller loads have a much better chance of going out of balance than larger loads. 6 or 8 towels are better than two. If you do get an unbalanced load that actually moves the washer, then you have to get the washer back in the exact position it was before it moved, or repeat the leveling procedure.

Good luck.

Dave

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:06 AM »
Ok, I have something for you to check.  Probably won’t find it on too many lists.

Open the washer, with no water or clothes in it.

Then grab the inner basket, and shake it like a steering wheel. Left, then right, left then right.  Not spinning it, just about a quarter to half a turn quickly, again and again.  You should hear what sounds like water in the balance ring of the washer basket.  If no sound, the balance ring has leaked, and basket would need to be replaced.  Hope this helps.

Bearcat

Online Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
 I havent done that many VMW but that looks weird , looks like the agitator is spinning faster than the basket and there was a gear slipping noise on the start up , you need to check the drive train , make sure the nut on the pulley is tight , check the splutch assembly , you might even have a bad transmission .

Offline noyesappliancerepair

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »
that is bad gearcase and possibly hub kit needed; check splines on gearcase shaft ; ive had many of those wear down to nothing and destroy the hub drive also

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »
I second the bad gearcase guess. Just had a whirpool fake Cabrio like that this week. The hub coupling was stripped out, making it do strange things during agitate slash spin operations. The shaft spline was all rusty and crusty, so the new hub didn't want to fit. By the time I got the spline cleaned up enough to fit the coupler, my hopes were pretty low. With the new hub, the washer will push through a wobble at low RPM and do slow spin ok. If set on high spin, the wash tub oscillates and hits a wall. Ends up like the second video. Spline shaft is too worn out to keep the tub centered.

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »
We've seen MANY of the VMW's with bad gearcase bearings under 1st year warranty. I always change gearcase and basket hub. On occasion we've seen a few where the lower bearing for the pulley tears up the splutch and streches the belt.

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »
I've been hearing murmers that even the Maytag commerical VMW washers are starting to have gearcase and seal failures now.
Isn't this awfully soon to have such failures? That washer just came out less than 2yrs ago.
What is WP doing with quality????