Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: hanging out my shingle  (Read 551 times)

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
hanging out my shingle
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »

Monday will be my first day back in business for myself . Was a HVAC and Appliance person my whole life until ten years ago .  Worked in a Supply house as HVAC and refrigeration tech support sales man and as a manager toward the end . Did some work on Appliances for a Business 5 years ago and the last 5 months (might have done 1000 calls the year I worked for them 5 years ago and 30 or so this time) Thanks for any help in advance !
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
Re: hanging out my shingle
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Best of luck to you.  It is rewarding, and frustrating.  I guess starting out, you are going to answer your own phone as well.  That didnít work for us very long.  We use a service, with a fine tuned script, that schedules the calls for us based on our updated to the minute availability.  If you need anything, donít hesitate to ask.

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
Btw Besides word of Mouth .... What is the best adverting that you found per dollar value ?

Thanks,
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline OMG

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Facebook

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »
I got nothing from Facebook, but pretty good results on Google. Your Mileage May Vary.

I'm about 6 months ahead of you and did the same thing early last fall.

The hardest part is building business. It's insanely difficult to get near the top of the first page of google results, and I spent the last 20+ years doing web development.

The only other really useful suggestions I have are:

* Google Maps and Google Calendar. If you put all your calls including the address into google Calendar, you can tell your phone "navigate to my next appointment" and it will take you there. If you have a car/truck with a display, you can have on-dash directions and a map. This took a real load off my mind, since I never have to wonder where I'm supposed to be or how to get there and don't have to waste time telling my phone where to navigate too. If you're running late you can also tell it to "call my next appointment".

* InvoiceNinja for billing because it's very inexpensive and easy to use and "just enough". Quickbooks will run you $500/year for a useful package and you'll send a bunch of time just figuring out how to use it.

* Paypal Now for credit cards. They're insanely easy to use and don't screw around since you're processing cards in person. They have a stripe/chip/contactless reader for about $75. They're charging me 2.75% with no other fees and no monthly fees. Be careful. Everybody else was trying to rope me in to a contract that cost a fortune to use and another bunch of money to get out of.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:04:38 PM by tcarmen »