Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Generic Parts  (Read 631 times)

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
Generic Parts
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »

Where is all this stuff coming from , Napco , Blue Stars , ...etc ,  are they all made at the same place ( China probably )anybody found one to be better than another  . Back in the day there was a company called Gemline and some of their stuff was pretty good but most of the part houses were not permitted to promote there products and then I heard the big manufactures found a way to shut them down . I use to wouldn't use generic parts but with all the major manufactures parts price increases I've been taking a second look . I'm still pretty picky about safety stuff like thermal fuses and parts that deal with water like mix valves pressure switches and fill valves .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:34:26 AM by Possum »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Generic Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:48:07 AM »
This company has a lot of after market stuff.As with any generic part it's the Good,Bad and the Ugly!
             https://www.aspenmfgonline.com/register.asp

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »
on the water valves I will use the Generic IF it is manufactured by the same company as the OEM . Some of the Whirlpool generic timers are made by the same people that do the OEM also  . Sometimes we order the Generic and get the OEM packaged items  :D If there is just a little difference between the OEM and Generic we go with OEM or if we have issues out of a generic we go with the OEM ( or another Generic) .  As dab147315 said " Good , Bad and Ugly"
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:06:03 AM »
This company has a lot of after market stuff.As with any generic part it's the Good,Bad and the Ugly!
well said Dab I buy a lot of stuff from Aspen but you got to buy the right stuff some of it is overpriced and some of it it's not worth having. some of the aftermarket parts are actually better than the original. and some of these good generic Parts are actually made in the United States. when I can't find the price I'm looking for I'll type the number in Google and search for free shipping as well as low price sometimes you get a really good deal
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:12:00 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

I currently use a generic dryer heater. I really can't tell the difference between the OEM and the replacement.

I haven't tried much of the other stuff.

Offline Morgann

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:29:58 AM »
Sometimes it takes a lot of care to choose a part, to distinguish whether it is original, and whether it is value for money.