Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE GTDP490ED7WS Dryer Won't Run to  (Read 282 times)

Offline itbedave

• VIP Member
GE GTDP490ED7WS Dryer Won't Run to
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »

Trying to help my ex save some $, and figure out why her dryer suddenly stopped working.

First, the dryer was recently moved, not worked for a day after it was moved. Then the next time she tried to use it, it wouldn't start. Has power. Drum light works. Just won't start.

Checked lint trap
Checked lint ducts (internal and external)
Checked door switch - good continuity
Checked thermal fuse - good
Checked start switch - good
Checked belt - good
Checked drum turns - good

What was obvious when I removed the front panel was that there was a gray wire that had been sheared in half somehow. Research shows this wire is supposed to connect to one of the rods of the moisture sensor. So if that's not working or connected, would that completely disable the dryer?

Because my next stop is to take out the drum and get at the tension pulley/interlock switch. And if I don't have to do that because fixing that wire will solve the problem, I'd rather not. Thanks in advance!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE GTDP490ED7WS Dryer Won't Run to
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »
WE1X21975 This model also has a 30 amp fuse in it's circuit.Here is your wiring diagram!

Offline itbedave

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »
I tested continuity on that fuse and it seemed fine?  It's located right next to the cord/plug wire connections on the back bottom of the dryer, correct?

Offline itbedave

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
Went ahead and picked up that fuse locally while the place was open, just in case. $2 fuse from local supply house. $10-$30 online! 😂😂😂

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:39 AM »
The gray wire should not stop the main motor from running.
It is for the moisture sensor and that controls the timer motor.

Note use a low resistance mode on your meter when checking parts. Not the continuity mode. You do not know hat the meter thinks is continuity but lets say it is 2000 ohms then it says there is continuity but your motor will not run because all the voltage will drop across the 2000 ohms so the motor will not run.

Unplug the unit.
Set the timer to timed dry.
Attach one meter lead to L1 and leave it there.
Measure to TB at the timer, should be 0 ohms.
Measure to TC at the timer, should be 0 ohms.
Measure to both sides of the Thermo Hi-limit Right (thermal fuse), both should be 0 ohms.
Measure to the brown at the start switch, should be zero ohms.
Measure to the red at the start switch should be 0 ohms with the switch pushed (activated).
Keep the start switch activated.
Measure to M4 (Brown/Yellow) at the motor, should be a few ohms. This is the motor windings).
Measure to both sides of the door switch with the switch activated, should be the same few ohms.

There that is your motor start circuit checked.

Note if I am correct the Idler Spring Switch (belt switch) is in the start/run winding circuit, re: along with the motor's centrifugal switch it keeps the run winding in circuit after the motor starts and the start button is released.
If correct the motor would start but stop as soon as the start button is released if the belt switch was bad (not closed).

Offline itbedave

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:51 AM »
Thanks for the info and instructions. As it turned out, the answer WAS indeed the timer. But I didn't even have to test it... Lol. Apparently, when this dryer was handed down from a grandparent, it came with a new replacement timer unit because the grandmother had had intermittent issues with it not working. Didn't know that until last night when someone remembered, reached up on a nearby shelf and handed me a box with a new timer in it and said, "I'm not sure what this is for?" 😂 I said, "that's a new timer unit and if it was ordered we're going ahead and replacing it while we've got it opened up anyway!" Went ahead and repaired the moisture sensor wire and replaced the fuse for good measure. But I'm certain after trying to set a time on the old timer and finding it was not moving and still wouldn't start up, the new timer was the fix. Runs great again! Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:31:53 AM by itbedave »