Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Refrigerator Defrost Help  (Read 377 times)

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
Kenmore Refrigerator Defrost Help
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »

Iíll try and describe my issue the best I can.  I have very little to no knowledge of refrigeration repair.  I have a 21 cubic ft. Kenmore refrigerator with a top freezer (I cannot find the model number anywhere) that I bought in 2014.  Last summer my freezer frosted over like crazy, it looked like it snowed inside, and my fridge was not cooling.  I looked up how to fix this on Youtube, and took off the back panel and cleaned up all the ice that was blocking the vent, put it back together, and it was fine for a week or two.  It frosted up again, and I looked into why, and determined my seal was bad.  I ordered a new one, installed it, and it worked perfectly until a couple of weeks ago.  Now the very back of the freezer is frosting over, but itís not nearly as bad as it was in the summer.  The control knob to adjust the coolness freezes, and thereís some frost on the ice maker.  Iíve unplugged the fridge, cleaned out the ice, plugged it back in a few times, but the back of the freezer is consistently frosting up.  I then learned about the manual defrost test that you can do by pressing the light switch 5 times.  When I do this, the heater kicks on, and the defrost cycle seems to work.  But the fridge never gets cool enough.  I do notice that when I manually put it in defrost mode, water drips into the fridge. Iím assuming this is the ice that builds up in the vent. If anyone can provide any help, Iíd appreciate it very much.

Offline pnwdrew

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore Refrigerator Defrost Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:52:18 PM »
1st thought - If it is capable of defrosting and water is dripping down into the FF compartment you've got a clogged defrost drain. Thaw it out fully and at the bottom of the evap area there should be a hole that drains the defrost water out of the freezer and down to the pan under compressor or condenser at back bottom.

When that passage is frozen up or clogged the water can't drain, some overflows and ends up in the FF compartment, some refreezes and builds up until it inhibits air flow. Check the bottom end of the drain also for a bad air seal, they often have some method of stopping warm room air from pulling up the tube.

Once that is able to drain properly you'll probably be fine; but it needs to be done to further test.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:53:35 PM by pnwdrew »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
Model number also would be very helpful.Make sure all fans are working. Let it run 24 hours and take freezer panel off and post a picture of the frost pattern so we can see. Double check that gasket you put on that it is sealing all around.Picture of evaporator would help!

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
I really wish I could find a model number. I literally checked every inch of the inside of the freezer and fridge, took of the vent and checked the manual under there, looked at the back of the fridge, and found nothing. The ownerís manual has about 10 different model numbers on it. I found the model number on the original receipt when I bought the new seal, but have since lost that.  The fan attached to the back panel in the freezer works, where would I find other fans?  Iíll take some pics when I get home, thereíll most likely be some frost build up then, and Iíll take pics of the freezer with the back panel off. Hopefully that helps. Thank you for the replies
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:17:50 PM by BD0926 »

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
I'm having trouble posting pics on this forum, I'll figure it out later tonight.  But I took some pics after 24hrs, and there was some frost build up.  I poured hot water down the defrost drain, hopefully this helps.  Also, I believe the model number is 253.6152

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
Model number should have be like this 253.61522019  Am I am guessing that this is close to what you have.Look at the frost pattern of the evaporator and tell us which pattern looks like yours.Also doe this parts list look like your refrigerator in any way. Because there are other models with different parts.That why we need the complete model number.Attachments below!

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
Ok, I uploaded my pictures to Flickr.  I canít rearrange them, so theyíre out of order. The first pic is after I ran the defrost cycle. Hopefully these help

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147096420@N06/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:38:43 PM by BD0926 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Looks like warm air is getting in there.I assume you change the refrigerator door gasket.Lay on the floor and make sure there is no gap at the bottom of that seal or anywhere.Anybody else have opinions?????
Make sure that fan  in the freezer is working any time the compressor is on.

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
I changed the freezer door gasket. Dumb question, could a bad refrigerator door gasket cause a frost issue in the freezer?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
Yes!

Offline BD0926

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 02:38:17 PM »
Haha I told you it was a dumb question. Iíll double check the refrigerator door seal. I could not find any cracks or gaps in the freezer door seal. Thank you so much for your help