Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Maxima, Drum Play  (Read 606 times)

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
Maytag Maxima, Drum Play
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »

Hi Folks,
I have a Maxima mhw5100dw0 from nov. 2015.
2nd floor setup, it's been kinda rumbly on high spin for over a year now, but I couldn't find any discernible issues.
Tight bearing, tight struts.

......UNTIL last night.
After a kinda vibration-prone load of towels, i checked for tub play as I've done every several weeks for a while.
And I finally felt it. While bracing the outer tub with one hand, and applying pressure upward on the inner basket with my other, I feel aprox. 1-2mm of play in the drum.

This is causing me to fret, because I did not find any bearing kits in my Googling late last night.

Any thoughts?
I really like this washer and would like to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Maytag Maxima, Drum Play
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
It's basically the same washer as this!
           https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-i5KqMA2RZwSWNxSTEyQm1SN1U/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:19:21 PM by dab147315 »

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »
Thank you very much for that helpful literature.

It is however increasingly depressing...that it reinforces what I've found.
That there are no bearings? Only the purchase of a WHOLE inner/outer tub assembly.
From anywhere between 6-1000 dollars?!

I don't know how that's even legal. This machine isn't even 4 years old, and I'm a single guy.
I'm not washing clothes for 4 kids here.

Is there a lawsuit I can get in on?

Offline rkious1

• Technician
    • K-ICE Heating and Cooling and Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »
4 to 7 years is about right on today,s machines . If you get 10 + call yourself a blessed man . The days of 20 + on a washer are over with. Say hello to energy efficient washers ! Now we get to save energy and fill up the landfill .
K-ICE Appliance Repair
Ross Kious
870-351-2847

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
If you are planning on doing the repair, you have plenty of time before it starts to sound like a helicopter taking off. If you're lucky the motor control will outlive the bearings. If you do the overhaul, the fleabay and scamazon bearing kit guys will sell you the secret parts for 20 bucks. Once the cheapness arrives, just order the same number bearings a reputable supply house. If you want to use the cheap seal, I won't hate you.

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
This is yet another right to repair issue. Even though the tub design hasn't changed significantly in 20 years, the manufacturer fails to support component level repair of the appliance. To further complicate matters, the spinner spider axle isn't offered separate from the basket any more. Not that you can't find the thing from the casting stamp, but not from whirltag. Bearings are typically the same as the old ones and now they swage slash press some of them in.

These intentional omissions and outright erasing or hiding of information will worsen over time as the big dogs vertically integrate further. Gobs and tons of independent repair shops are no longer. It's no longer an issue where a consumer can vote with the wallet, because all of the manufacturers have adopted the policy of sitting on " intellectual property".

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
How dare you replace the bearings and seal without buying our overpriced rear tub.  We'll weld the outer tub halves together, that'll fix that problem. European washer tubs have been welded for years. There are some Brits on Youtube who've cut them apart, replaced the parts and bolted them back together. If you're adventurous.

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
Thank you for everyone's replies.
Update: It's still running.
I cannot really use MAX spin anymore because the slight tub play causes it to go into some kind of harmonic frequency imbalance, and shuts down.
Medium spin works fine, albeit with some slight metallic clacking from the play.

I talked to WP and a local MT store owner.
Both said that they would warranty out the drum/tub assembly, BUT the repair would have to be done by the shop.
Meaning 5-600 dollars. Which is the same price as the dang tub assembly.
Either way, I'm out of cash.
They got me by the (oo).

This is certainly a Right to Repair issue. It's infuriating!
I've been told numerous times already that my loose bearing (or spider, who knows) issue is incredibly rare on this chassis. Fine....I'm unlucky.
But I can't even properly repair it because the big dogs won't offer separate parts anymore.
I get it, not everyone is capable. But dang it, I'm capable.
And others should at least have the option to hire one of you esteemed folks to actually procure parts and repair their machines if they so choose.
It's just not right, man.
Companies used to offer parts for everything! I honestly believe that increases loyalty.
Guess that doesn't matter anymore....

Ironically, the only company I've seen still offering individual parts for sale, for the most part, is Haier-owned GE! Ha.