Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Top Load Washer - Dreaded Bad Lower Bearing  (Read 430 times)

Offline Choice ApplianceCentralIN

• VIP Member
GE Top Load Washer - Dreaded Bad Lower Bearing
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »

Hello. Im new to this forum. I currently operate a very small repair/resale washer & dryer company in central Indiana. It's just myself & 1 other co-worker/partner at this time so I am still learning about some common problems.
Previously we wouldnt even touch GE washers (neither the traditional style nor the hydrowave style) because I knew that it wasnt cost effective to replace transmissions/mode shifters when the bearings got bad. Well..now I am experimenting with a repair procedure that would essentially bring the cost down to 1 hour or so of my time & a $5 bearing.
So far I have been able to successfully repair the non-hydrowave, older transmission where the lower bearing is mounted on the rotor for the brake assembly. I haven't done the newer mode shifter, yet.
Basically I'm just posting to see if any of you here have any tips, suggestions or have possibly perfected a procedure yourself? Especially concerning the newer models with the mode shifter apparatus & common faults associated with it.
I understand I am servicing supposedly "unserviceable" parts but I am very mechanically inclined & I like to know exactly what the culprit is & why it failed when repairing anything.

Offline OMG

• Technician
Re: GE Top Load Washer - Dreaded Bad Lower Bearing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »
I never have but I'd be interested in learning how as I have had to sraoe quite a few of these machines due to the bearing issue.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
Re: GE Top Load Washer - Dreaded Bad Lower Bearing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:07:55 AM »
That transmission has become extremely high priced. I used to sell a lot of used appliances my answer to that would be pick up more appliances for the parts. you could switch that transmission out at just the price of a tub seal. that is however a lot of work to do just to sell a used washer. I missed miss the old style direct drive neutral drain Whirlpool washer. I made a lot of money off Whirlpool back in them days. I still will occasionally run an ad Wanted Dead or Alive all major appliances just to pick up some different parts. had somebody give me a free stack Bosch washer dryer $2,500 unit nothing wrong with it. Couple weeks ago never know what you're going to get almost like treasure hunting.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:09:30 AM by haroldsappliance »