Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: C970-652621 Bake element gone bad. Replacement part is pricey.  (Read 234 times)

Offline thedude

• VIP Member
C970-652621 Bake element gone bad. Replacement part is pricey.
« on: February 06, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »

Hi.

Put something in to bake at 400 and after 20 minutes oven was still preheating. Opened it up and it was just warm and not hot at all. Like I could actually take out the pan with my hands. Turned on the broil and it worked fine.

So, removed the bake element and tested it with multimeter and there was no reading. Looked closer and I see a burned out spot on the element. So I guess there's no continuity.

Here's the problem, my element is shaped like in the pic. This is unusual I guess because there are no generic ones that look like this. When I find the replacement part (318254906) on numerous websites, they are all pricey and would run me almost $200 cdn. Even the local supplier about a half hour away will be about $200 including tax and shipping. Generic is like no more than $40.

My part says 3400W and 240V. For the generic ones I look up, they all say 3000W. So because my part has 400 more watts, does that mean I can't use any of the generics that are 3000? Just wondering if I'd create a fire hazard if I did use generic.

Also, the shape doesn't matter does it? My oven also has a panel that goes over the bake element so you can't actually see it heating up unless you don't put the panel back in.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:40:43 AM by thedude »

Offline manden

• VIP Member
Re: C970-652621 Bake element gone bad. Replacement part is pricey.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
The following is just my opinion.

A lower wattage should not cause a fire hazard but could effect how the oven heats and the temperature profile in the oven.
So cakes that used to bake perfectly may no longer be OK.

Yes the shape matters it spreads the 3400 watts over the length of the element so that you do not get  hot spots on the element cover.

The distance between the element ends is critical.
Also the distance that the element goes into the back of the oven.
If theses are not correct then you could cause a short.