Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Washer Bad Sound  (Read 425 times)

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
LG Washer Bad Sound
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

Iím getting the bad sound below when running my LG washer, along with an OE code.  I took things apart and didnít see anything blocking the pump or in the hose.  Does this sound like a bad pump that needs to be replaced, or should I keep looking for a clog?

https://youtu.be/_ji2IxM6NxY

Thanks in advance.  My wife is anxious to wash her clothes.

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
Re: LG Washer Bad Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »
Also, there are 2 sides to the motor assembly. One covered in a clear plastic and the other with a white plastic. Both look like motors. Which one gets replaced or do they both need to be replaced?

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
If you reach inside the door, where the metal basket is that holds the clothes during the wash, and try to lift it.  It should feel firm, and hard to lift, as though you were trying to lift 40 pounds or more.  If you can lift the basket easily, and feel like you are lifting just the inner basket , (about 10 pounds ) and not what surrounds it let me know.  Iíll follow think link.

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Thanks for helping - really appreciate it.

When I lift the inner metal tub it feels firm and like Iím lifting the whole thing.  When I lift up on the metal inner tub I can see the outer plastic tub lifting at the same time.

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
Try lifting on just the outer edge of the metal basket, closest to you.  If there is any play there that does not lift the whole tub assembly then that is probably your issue.  Loud noise from front load washers are usually associated with the tub bearings going out, and result in play between the basket and tub at the bearings.  You may have a different issue.  Sound bites are always hard to decipher.  If I was there, I could tell you.  But most of those sounds that I am talking about in the spin cycle start out as low noise, and as speed increases can get so loud that you can hear it through the whole house.  The noise gets worse over months of use.  If you think this is not the issue, give me more details, and we can see if I have any other ideas.

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Iíll take a look when I get home.

If it is the bearing how hard is it to fix as a DIY project?  Also would this cause the OE error that the washer canít drain?

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
Sorry, I concentrated more on the noise portion of your complaint.  Will the washer drain water, and will it drain it rather quickly?  If it does, you could still have a noisy drain pump that is going bad.  You can disconnect the wire going to the drain pump, and see if the noise goes away.  But, yes, the OE is usually associated with a pump or clog issue.   Sorry for the confusion.  Bearcat

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »
No, washer not draining water.  Iíve checked everywhere I can think for a clog (discharge hose from pump to drain, pump housing, hose from tub to pump) and all seems clear.  Have a pump on order from Amazon thatís getting here later today to swap in and hopefully resolve drain issue.  Maybe it will resolve sound also.  Is there a way to tell if the pump is bad, or just no clog + OE probably means pump?

Either way, laundry is getting backed up and people in the house are getting anxious. 😟

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
If the noise is coming from the pump, and there is nothing in the pump housing near the impeller, then the pump is probably bad, and due to your not draining issue, I would say that pump is going to fix things up for you.  If it does please let us know.  If it doesnít and itís still not draining, maybe I can give you something else to check.

Offline Stocktsi

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »
Bearcat,

Pump arrived, installed, and first load of laundry complete without any error codes.  While Iíll always hold out a little bit that something else might go wrong, it looks like this took care of it.  As an added bonus the washer is making a lot less overall noise than before, making me think the pump has been on its last legs for a year or so.

Appreciate your advice and following along.

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.  Donations to the site are always  appreciated.   I don't get anything except the satisfaction of helping someone.   Bearcat