Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag electric dryer model MDE9206AYW  (Read 804 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag electric dryer model MDE9206AYW
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »

I was just given a Maytag electric dryer for repair with the above model information  that does not start very well. I took all of the rotating parts out and did not find any major problems  inside . It is equipped with a 1/4 HP motor as std. The motor  does start but the bearings are likely worn or contaminated with dirt which are of course sealed and cannot be  relubed. If I replace this motor does anyone know if there is a 1/3 HP  version I could use instead. ?  I believe the 1/4 hp version does not have adequate torque to start a load of heavy wet clothes. Any help ?

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag electric dryer model MDE9206AYW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
Based on model number the dryer has some age on it. End caps of motor are removable with screw driver or putty knife  - Iíve used old dryer felt (tip from my 89 year old father who had the business) and cut small stripes and packed it with soaked penetrating oil under both end caps to Free a frozen motor shaft bearing but if the bearing is worn your looking at replacing with new motor for $95. or rolling the dice on a used motor for $24. On the web. If motor is just Dry the penetrating oil (I use Kroil or Silikroil) itís the BEST! Good Luck and let me know what you find!

Poor starting or Grunting sound on startup will indicate dry bearings or worn bearings. Grab the end of shaft and pull up/down and side by side to seeif there is any play in motor shaft if any play replace the motor!

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
I will take a look at it and see if there is any hope but I doubt it. The bearing next to the blower wheel is the one that gets the most dirt packed into it. I would really like to put a larger 1/3 hp motor in place of the original 1/4 hp version but it does not appear there is any hope for that type of conversion.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:29:57 AM »
 That is correct but I usually take the motor off of the blower wheel and pop both of the end caps off without taking the pulley not off the front end put the feltin then the penetrating oil then tap in End caps back on itís a little bit tedious but if the bearings are still good well worth the effort

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
I took the motor out and put some Kroll penetrating oil into the bearings from both ends while the motor was inverted from each end. Reinstalled the motor and put the drum back in place. Restarted the unit and it still growls a little at startup even with no clothes inside. . The bearings are  likely worn and have dirt in them plus the 1/4 hp motor just does not have enough starting torque as compared to the 1/3 Hp type.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »
In thinking about the drag of the drum seals at start up I am considering  using a teflon type lube if there is something available for such an application. Obviously such a lubricant would have to be able to handle some significant heat  and not drip or stain clothing in use. Anyone ever tried this or know of such a product ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
Don't use any type of lube on seals as dirt will stick to it and have the opposite effect. I use to use baby powder but since cancer stuff no longer.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
Thanks for the advise on baby powder. I dont think I have to worry about cancer as I already have a form  of it !!!

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
I will likely give this dryer away for free as a replacement motor ($105) is more than the dryer is worth. I sell all the dryers I repair for $100 so the cost of a motor is not worth while to make a profit.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »
Your prices are too cheap, used dryers around here are selling for $200.00 average for a Maytag (maybe $150.00 for a Sears or Whirlpool electric.) I am in Northern CA. Washers are $250.00 for a direct drive and Maytag dependable drives are getting $300.00+, all because of the crap the new stuff is.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
Yes I am a little low on my prices but I am a retiree  and it keeps me busy. I usually make a profit but not very much !

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »
I took this unit apart again and put some teflon spray on the  felt seals and drum contact areas. This spray dries to a white powder.  it made a slight improvement when starting  but not much. I will  not spend much more time on this unit . I still would like to find a 1/3 hp motor that would fit to replace the 1/4 HP original but so far  no luck.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
I offered this dryer to a person who needs a dryer but they did not show up. Has anyone ever found a 1/3 Hp motor and blower combination that will fit this dryer ?

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:49 PM »
I too have a old Maytag electric dryer (~25-30 years old). It runs like new. I've never had the dryer apart/open. Even the belt is OE.

Question is, does the drive motor have sleeve or ball bearings?
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 06:21:04 AM »
To my knowledge the bearing nearest the blower wheel is a ball bearing type. This is the one subjected to the most dirt IMO.