Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag SG1000 leaking!  (Read 250 times)

Offline melchyway

• VIP Member
Maytag SG1000 leaking!
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

I have an older Maytag SG1000 stackable washer/dryer. I've replaced a few parts on it over the years and it has been generally very reliable. It has recently started leaking and I'm stumped as to why. When I start a new large load wash cycle the tub fills up as it should. there are no leaks from the water inlet to the tub. When the wash cycle starts however, it seems that water from the tub is getting forced back up the inlet hose and starts pouring out of the area around the water injector. Now if I run a small load the water does not get pushed back though the inlet hose, rather it backs up through the bleach inlet hose.

Im at a loss as to what could be causing this. Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks
-Mike

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag SG1000 leaking!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
If the brake is not grabbing it will allow the tub to spin "backwards and cause what you have described. With the front of the washer off you should be able to see it happen. Yes worth the repair.

Offline melchyway

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
Thats makes sense.  My wife did notice that the tub was moving around more than it normally would.  Also if I looked between the top of the tub and the washer lid, i could see the water centrifugally pressed against the inside of the drum.  Strangely the washer has seemingly been working fine for the past few days..... though I know its just a matter of time.  Sounds like an intermittent brake issue?  How would I go about checking the brake?  Could it be that the belts are slipping?

thanks for the help!
-Mike

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
The motor reverses for agitate and spin so belts wouldn't do that.