Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Gas Valve Is Stuck Open Leaking Gas  (Read 422 times)

Offline RZT77

• VIP Member
Gas Valve Is Stuck Open Leaking Gas
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »

Hello All!

First post here. I could use some help with my dryer situation.

I purchased this dryer a while back (used) and recently connected it up. It seemed to work properly (tub turned, igniter lit up, gas started and ignited) but afterwards I started smelling gas. I checked the lines and fittings going to the dryer but didn't find anything. I then discovered that the gas valve was leaking gas at the outlet orifice (btw, this dryer was converted to propane).

I read about checking the solenoids (continuity) and I get infinite across the 2-prong solenoid and 550 across the 3-prong solenoid on the 2 outer prongs and infinite across the outer and middle prongs. I read I should get about 1300 ohms on all (course I'm not sure exactly which prongs on the 3-prong solenoid you are supposed to check).

My questions are: 1) Does it appear these solenoids are bad? 2) If they are bad, why does the dryer heat up properly? 3) Can bad solenoids cause a gas valve to stay open and leak gas?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Online dab147315

• Technician
Re: Gas Valve Is Stuck Open Leaking Gas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Your gas valve is bad.May cost more than its worth!Post your make and model number.

Offline RZT77

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
It is a Kenmore Model 110.73932102.

Is there a way to verify it's bad?

This is a pic of the gas valve: Valve Pic

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »
If gas is leaking out of orifice the valve is definetely bad needs to be replaced

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:04:47 PM »
On occasion the gas valve will start leaking due to a crack in the thread area of the valve body where the orifice is screwed into the body. Not much you can do to fix it except to replace the complete assembly. Probably cost too much to repair.