Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Unable To Remove Oven Door Per Manual  (Read 338 times)

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Unable To Remove Oven Door Per Manual
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »

Kitchen Aid model KEBS107SSS03 built in wall oven

Manual says to open door fully,disengage door hinge latches by flipping one on each hinge up(away from oven door frame),close door until it stops then lift up on door and continue closing while pulling bottom of door away from oven frame.
I did this but hinges failed to disengage from oven and somehow the left hinge latch re-engaged.I have to somehow disengage the latch so I can at a minimum put the door back into the correct position so I can close it.
Any idea how I can disengage the left side latch
My fear is that I will bend the frame or damage the latch assembly

Thanks for any advice/help

And while it might not be kosher protocol I am including my number should someone be willing to call me directly
William 469-363-2995

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Re: Unable To Remove Oven Door Per Manual
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
So I was able to release the left side door hinge,realign the door and return it to its operational position.I would still like to be able to remove it because cleaning is so much easier when you can easily reach the back wall without having to bend over the door when it is open.Yet I am hesitant to "push my luck". Any thoughts?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »
you are doing it eight,  flip the locks close door at some point hinges should lock in position tilt up and off

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
Hope you and yours are enjoying a wonderful holiday season so far. I was able to get the door reinstalled and haven't made a second attempt at removing it again although I need to remove it so I can do a thorough cleaning of the unit after cooking a holiday turkey that splattered everywhere. Also and on another subject I have a KCMS2055 SSS-1 microwave unit which is notorious for having door switches go bad. The unit has power but will not turn the turntable/run after entering a use time,closing the door and hitting the start button.However,I can ever so slightly push in on the door opener and the unit will engage. Service companies have changed door switches on four different calls and when I ask them why the same issue recurs they say the switches are just a cheap and unreliable part.This unit is in a home I rent and I would like to consider replacing the switch(es) myself.I am no professional repair person but have watched how the unit is removed from the cabinet and how the casing is removed. Does it require a special tool to remove the screws holding the switches in place or can I use a standard phillips head screwdriver? Also,does the unit store voltage after being unplugged that I need to dissipate before removing the switches? I do not recall seeing any service technician cross grounding anything for this purpose when they have replaced switches on this unit. Any input is appreciated and thanks.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
They're using crappy switches. I use QBP switches with no problems. Use 28QBP0495 if you have 3/16" terminals and 28QBP0496 if you have 1/4" terminals. The HV capacitor can potentially hold a lethal charge but it has a bleeder resistor to drain the charge while not in use. I discharge the capacitor by shorting the terminals with a copper wire loop held with insulated pliers.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:58:49 PM by tgoods »

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
Based on tgoods recommendation and a switch bag left by the last repair tech who was here,I ordered ERP 28QBP0495 switches and they have finally arrived. In looking at the three switches currently installed, all wires coming from the unit to the switches are connected to the Common (black and pink wires) and Normally Open(green,yellow and tan wires) switch terminals. If I understand basic electricity 101 correctly, a Normally Open switch tests good for continuity when the switch is activated, which in my case will be when the door is closed and the switch buttons are pushed in by the door opener assembly and I get a reading of 0.00 or 0.01 on my multimeter. If this is correct can I test each switch while it is still in place using my digital multimeter set to 200 ohms with gator clips and without removing any of the wiring terminal clips from the switch terminals?There is one switch where I will have to remove the switch terminal wire clips because it is a one piece clip completely insulated to keep the supply wires separated

Thanks