Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Linear Refrigerator Problems  (Read 714 times)

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
LG Linear Refrigerator Problems
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:03:10 AM »

LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator stopped cooling but the freezer stayed cold for approximately a week while I tried to get a tech to agree to look at it.  I tried to lower temps in refrigerator without luck.  Tried to lower beverage drawer settings and then the freezer stopped freezing.  I checked all fans and they were working.  The compressor had a slight vibration to it but it wasnít getting warm or cold and not really sure if that means it is working or not.  I checked the 3 pins on the FLB075LBNA Compressor with a multimeter and only 2 pins showed a reading.  I thought that meant it was dead but now I am reading that linear compressors may only show reading on two pins.  At least one source mentioned all three pins should show the same readings but havenít been able to verify it. 

LG said they canít find a repair person to come to our town and now they are sending me to a different escalation department to find out what they can do. 

I canít find a service manual for this refrigerator but on similar ones it mentions error codes and led blinking lights for testing.  I have not received any error codes on the front panel or led blinking on the PCB. 

I bought this 2 years ago but waited a year to start using it because of a remodel.  Unfortunately there wasnít a lot of complaints about this model back when we got it and now apparently a lot of compressors are failing.   

Anyone have access to this specific models service manual and or have any other suggestions for a DIY home owner to check.  Itís not looking promising that LG is actually going to help so trying to do what I can on my own. 

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
Re: LG Linear Refrigerator Problems
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
The compressor will only have ohm reading on top left pin and bottom center pin the other is not used because they are Inverter / Linear Compressors that are driven by a Inverter that can vary the speed of the compressor.
LG and Samsung have had a lot of compressor failures so most likely you need a new compressor.
The warranty only covers the part not the labor so it will cost around 400 or more and they will not send you the part it has to be diagnosed by authorized LG tech and installed by them too.

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Thanks for the ohm reading confirmation.  I figured it might be bad info that was put out that all three pins would read the same on this model. 

LG already said they canít find a tech and will not send me the compressor so not sure what they plan on doing. I bought a small Walmart fridge to use while trying to figure this out but have to get a different model before Christmas.  I am not going to call anyone else just to be told itís a lemon and they wonít touch it.  Definitely not going to pay to dump it but it may make me feel better if I pull up in front of lgís office or the store and push it off of my truck. 

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
Here! https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=21820.0

This looks close.  Thanks

Should the test codes and blinking leds be the same if the model number isnít exact? 

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:25 PM »
The problem is the internal compressor piston is not pumping the refrigerant at the proper pressures that's why there is no blinking led on the mainboard since electrically its OK but mechanically the gas is not pressurized properly to get it to cool the fridge.
You could order a new compressor and get a filter drier and 2 access port stubs that you braze one onto the compressor and the other goes on the filter drier to allow gauges to be connected. You can find everything online and braze it in or get local guy to do it but you need to pull a vacuum before recharging it.
It would probably come out cheaper or the same as doing it thru LG warranty since they charge a lot of labor.

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
The problem is the internal compressor piston is not pumping the refrigerant at the proper pressures that's why there is no blinking led on the mainboard since electrically its OK but mechanically the gas is not pressurized properly to get it to cool the fridge.
You could order a new compressor and get a filter drier and 2 access port stubs that you braze one onto the compressor and the other goes on the filter drier to allow gauges to be connected. You can find everything online and braze it in or get local guy to do it but you need to pull a vacuum before recharging it.
It would probably come out cheaper or the same as doing it thru LG warranty since they charge a lot of labor.

Definitely considering learning the repair process since even if it gets fixed it may not last and I would feel better about it if I knew how to do it.   

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
Actually you can use a lower temp silver solder called Stay Brite 8.  You can use Stay Brite with a regular propane torch you just have to clean the tubing with emery cloth and use flux. It is much easier to work with than the higher temp silver phosphorus brazing rods that most techs use with acetylene torches.
If you already have a propane torch and soldering stuff laying around you are halfway there.
Next you can go to a Harbor Freight Tools and buy a vacuum pump for $100 and set of gauges for $50 and get a r134a can tap adapter for around $12 and 1 can of r134a for $8.
Order Stay Brite 8 online its kinda pricey for a full roll but they sell small rolls of it on home depot website.

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
Actually you can use a lower temp silver solder called Stay Brite 8.  You can use Stay Brite with a regular propane torch you just have to clean the tubing with emery cloth and use flux. It is much easier to work with than the higher temp silver phosphorus brazing rods that most techs use with acetylene torches.
If you already have a propane torch and soldering stuff laying around you are halfway there.
Next you can go to a Harbor Freight Tools and buy a vacuum pump for $100 and set of gauges for $50 and get a r134a can tap adapter for around $12 and 1 can of r134a for $8.
Order Stay Brite 8 online its kinda pricey for a full roll but they sell small rolls of it on home depot website.

Yes I already have a propane torch.  Thanks for the info on Stay Brite 8.  Looks like great stuff.  Still waiting for LG to call back with a solution.  Probably just going to start ordering the supplies to fix it myself. 

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
Should I check the pressure on the system before ordering a new compressor or is it still likely to be bad.  Which lines do I add the charge ports to?  Some of the videos online only connect one gauge line.  Also want to verify if I need to weigh the Freon or do some calculations based on pressure.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 01:27:29 AM »
The compressors all have a stub that is pinched off at the factory that is where you put a access valve for charging the R134a it is the low side of the system. The new filter drier will have a stub to add another access valve for the high side reading. You never add the refrigerant to the high side always add to the low side. You have to remove the core from the access valves before you solder or braze so you dont melt the seals, you use a valve core removal tool to unscrew them its same as a tire valve core and you can get the tool for few bucks at Walmart in the auto dept they have lots of tire patch kits made by Slime and they have that valve core tool or any auto parts store like Autozone will have it too. The access valves come on a short piece of copper tube you can order a pack of 10 on Amazon or Ebay for about $15 or less. You will probably have to shorten the tube with a tubing cutter so the one you put on the compressor doesn't stick out the back too far. If you are at Walmart grab 2 12 oz cans of R134a do not get any that has leak sealer in it just get the cheapest 12 oz can the short cans they are around $6. The top of the can has a special threaded top that you need the can tap adapter to screw on and then your gauges yellow hose screws onto the tap. You can get that can tap possibly at Walmart or definitely at Auto parts store or online.  After you braze in the new compressor and put valve cores back in the access valves you hook up your vacuum pump and open both the knobs on the guages so you are sucking a vacuum on both low and high sides of the system. Run it for a good 45 min to 1 hr. Close the knobs on gauges and turn off pump and then let it sit for 30 min and see if the gauges still show you are in a vacuum (needles will be in the - negative zone red that says inches of mercury). If you lost vacuum you have a leak! If good no leaks then keep all knobs closed, connect yellow hose to can tap and you pierce the can with the tap adapter. Then the gas will be in the yellow hose so you crack the hose threaded connector at the gauge manifold and let a little gas escape to purge the air from the hose. Then plug in the fridge and wait for compressor to start. Now slowly crack open the blue knob only to let the gas get sucked into the low side by the compressor. You have 12 oz in the can but the data decal inside the fridge will say how many oz of R134a it needs. Probably 5 oz give or take. Now you are technically supposed to weigh the can and add exactly that amount but hey we gotta do what we gotta do so just use your hand and feel when the can is 1/2 full and stop adding more. Close all knobs on gauges and let if run for a few hours and see if its getting cold. Do not overcharge it. Best to err on the side of undercharging so you can always add a bit more if the evaporator is not getting frosty all the way to the bottom rows add a bit more. The guages set you get I recommend the harbor freight set because the hoses have removable R134a ends that you take off since the access valves you soldered on have the standard thread 1/4 sae fitting so the hoses will screw on when you remove the big adapters (those big adapters are for cars). So now you will have a set of gauges that you can also recharge your cars A/C too with the same R134a cans and tap too.

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:06 AM »
The compressors all have a stub that is pinched off at the factory that is where you put a access valve for charging the R134a it is the low side of the system. The new filter drier will have a stub to add another access valve for the high side reading. You never add the refrigerant to the high side always add to the low side. You have to remove the core from the access valves before you solder or braze so you dont melt the seals, you use a valve core removal tool to unscrew them its same as a tire valve core and you can get the tool for few bucks at Walmart in the auto dept they have lots of tire patch kits made by Slime and they have that valve core tool or any auto parts store like Autozone will have it too. The access valves come on a short piece of copper tube you can order a pack of 10 on Amazon or Ebay for about $15 or less. You will probably have to shorten the tube with a tubing cutter so the one you put on the compressor doesn't stick out the back too far. If you are at Walmart grab 2 12 oz cans of R134a do not get any that has leak sealer in it just get the cheapest 12 oz can the short cans they are around $6. The top of the can has a special threaded top that you need the can tap adapter to screw on and then your gauges yellow hose screws onto the tap. You can get that can tap possibly at Walmart or definitely at Auto parts store or online.  After you braze in the new compressor and put valve cores back in the access valves you hook up your vacuum pump and open both the knobs on the guages so you are sucking a vacuum on both low and high sides of the system. Run it for a good 45 min to 1 hr. Close the knobs on gauges and turn off pump and then let it sit for 30 min and see if the gauges still show you are in a vacuum (needles will be in the - negative zone red that says inches of mercury). If you lost vacuum you have a leak! If good no leaks then keep all knobs closed, connect yellow hose to can tap and you pierce the can with the tap adapter. Then the gas will be in the yellow hose so you crack the hose threaded connector at the gauge manifold and let a little gas escape to purge the air from the hose. Then plug in the fridge and wait for compressor to start. Now slowly crack open the blue knob only to let the gas get sucked into the low side by the compressor. You have 12 oz in the can but the data decal inside the fridge will say how many oz of R134a it needs. Probably 5 oz give or take. Now you are technically supposed to weigh the can and add exactly that amount but hey we gotta do what we gotta do so just use your hand and feel when the can is 1/2 full and stop adding more. Close all knobs on gauges and let if run for a few hours and see if its getting cold. Do not overcharge it. Best to err on the side of undercharging so you can always add a bit more if the evaporator is not getting frosty all the way to the bottom rows add a bit more. The guages set you get I recommend the harbor freight set because the hoses have removable R134a ends that you take off since the access valves you soldered on have the standard thread 1/4 sae fitting so the hoses will screw on when you remove the big adapters (those big adapters are for cars). So now you will have a set of gauges that you can also recharge your cars A/C too with the same R134a cans and tap too.

Thanks for such great details.  I was watching a bunch of videos and pretty much came to the same conclusion as your instructions but feel a lot better having that confirmed.  I got a little confused when some used bullet valves and taped into random spots on the pipe and only used one gauge.

I ended up ordering all the supplies from Amazon just before I saw this reply.  Apparently they canít ship the r134a to my address so will have to check locally.  Harbor freight is a 6 hour round trip so hopefully this one will work.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Diagnostic-Manifold-Refrigerants-Adjustable/dp/B07CZB3P4X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544600960&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=OrionMotorTech+3+Way+AC+Diagnostic+Manifold+Gauge+Set+for+Freon+Charging&dpPl=1&dpID=51KFIViK-QL&ref=plSrch

I still have to call LG in the morning and see if they came up with a solution. If they refuse to send me the compressor I will need to order one myself as I can wait much longer to get this running again.  The compressor has this model number listed on it Flb075lbna. Some product searches list this one TCA35911902 so hopefully itís the same item.  Do you recommend a specific dealer?  Also will any filter drier work or does it have to be the exact one for the unit ordered? 

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »
That gauge set looks nice and comes with the can tap.
The bullet valves usually leak when you leave them on the system they are ok for recovering the gas from the system.
Technically you are supposed to recover it but R134a is sold to anyone no EPA certification required to purchase it and it is not supposed to harm the ozone layer if released.
This forum has a sponsorship with appliancepartspros.com but it says that compressor is out of stock.
I think you might find out that the part is on back order when you search for it on other parts sites too.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
Read this other thread there was a reply from LG with a link to open a claim maybe try to copy and past that link see what they tell you?

https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=21713.0

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
When I put the part number TCA35911902 into this site it said use substitute part, I clicked that and it said use this substitute part https://encompass.com/item/11829404/LG/TCA35911910/

So they must have made 2 updates to the compressor I would assume but who knows what the hell LG is doing anymore they obviously have a major problem with the compressors and have class action lawsuits filed about it.

Appliancepartspros has part  TCA35911910  showing Not in stock https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-compressor-tca35911910-ap6833114.html
and it says...
Cross Reference Information
Part Number TCA35911910 (AP6833114) replaces TCA35911902, TCA35911907, TCA35911908, TCA35911903.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:26:50 AM by houptee »

Offline DIY-2018

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »
When I put the part number TCA35911902 into this site it said use substitute part, I clicked that and it said use this substitute part https://encompass.com/item/11829404/LG/TCA35911910/

So they must have made 2 updates to the compressor I would assume but who knows what the hell LG is doing anymore they obviously have a major problem with the compressors and have class action lawsuits filed about it.

Appliancepartspros has part  TCA35911910  showing Not in stock https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-compressor-tca35911910-ap6833114.html
and it says...
Cross Reference Information
Part Number TCA35911910 (AP6833114) replaces TCA35911902, TCA35911907, TCA35911908, TCA35911903.

Hopefully the new ones work better.  I ordered it.  LG did finally say they would pro rate a refund so guess they are taking some responsibility over the compressor issues.  But still willing to try a fix since any refund will not take place until after Christmas. 

Offline LG_Support

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »
Oh no! I hate to see that your refrigerator has stopped working and you've had issues with finding a technician for repairs. Let us make this up to you! Please take a moment, at your convenience, to contact us directly via Twitter @LGUSSupport or Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/LGUSSupport/. ^KH