Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What's changed and what's the same?  (Read 618 times)

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
What's changed and what's the same?
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »

I was in the appliance service business from around 1980 - 1995, then switched to software development because I didn't want to end up like the guys I worked with who had all sorts of joint damage from getting up and down off floors all day, and moving heave appliances.

24 years later, I left my job as a software engineer because I was losing my mind sitting in a cubicle, and just re-opened my service business. Right now I'm 100% COD and haven't even considered doing warranty work. Is warranty work worth the bother? When I used to do it, by the time I got done with the paperwork and bookkeeping and buying parts and returning them and tracking the credit, I don't believe I actually made any money on it. Is it better now, or still the same?

Also, there are things I've bumped into like the LG Linear compressor, which seems to be a spectacular idea implemented poorly, but at the end of the day, it's still just a normal refrigeration cycle.

Are there other significant changes?

Are electronics a big percentage of the problems or are standard things like clogged inlets/outlets/belts/heaters/damaged or loose wiring/thermostats/dirty-whatever/etc. still a large percentage of the calls?

I know this should probably go in PART, but I don't have access yet.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks!

Terry

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:54:45 PM by tcarmen »

Offline Countryside86

• Technician
Re: What's changed and what's the same?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »
I see a little over half the calls are electronics related and the rest are the standard stuff... Welcome back to the service industry!!!

Offline OMG

• Technician
Re: What's changed and what's the same?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Similar career path for me. I was an electrician for a few years. Left blue collar and eventually became a LAMP Engineer. Did that for almost 20 years and made an obscene amount of money toward the end. I could no longer take sitting in a cubicle for 12 hours a day. Transitioned to appliance repair. Im 100% COD and 100% self trained, 100% self employed, i have nevered worked a day for a shop. A few Rocky points but it can be done.