Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Lg`s junk linear compressors  (Read 725 times)

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
Lg`s junk linear compressors
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:30:52 PM »

Are there any "good " replacements for this junk compressor? Lg not warranting these despite the 10 year compressor warranty. I have a $2800 refrigerator given to me and I was going to experiment on it by trying to retrofit a conventional non linear one. Anyone done this and lived to tell about it?

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
Re: Lg`s junk linear compressors
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:34 PM »
I was thinking to try the same thing on a used dual evap LG fridge i bought really cheap. The best price I found was $317 plus 15 shipping for another LG compressor.
Only problem is you would need to have your own control system if you went non linear such as using a basic digital PID temp controller to turn a generic compressor off and on.
Since my LG has separate evaporators it would be harder to control but possibly just monitoring the food compartment and letting the freezer run anytime food calls might work ok.
Its a shame these beautiful machines keep breaking down constantly.

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »
I was thinking I could use a solid state relay. The output from the inverter is an ac signal that can go as high as ~250 volts. There are relays that have a high voltage input.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:45 AM »
The problem is the Mainboard knows if the compressor is not working properly and it shuts down the inverter board from sending signals and then sets error codes on the front of fridge.

But you cannot just disconnect the mainboard because that controls the lights, and ice maker, all the fans, etc etc

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Well I guess that`s that then. I did see the microprocessor on the main. Along with the IPM driver module. Without the schematics to the main I can not re-engineer it.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
I saw a guy on reddit saying you can substitute a Linear compressor made by Embraco or Samsung if it fits into the area and the feet holes line up. He said they are more reliable than LG compressors.

Here is a link to info about specs on LG compressors I found http://www.frigochem.com/pdf/Refrigerator_Compressor_151207.pdf

What model LG fridge do you have if you get the Service Manual for it they show the schematic of the boards.

Here is the service manual for the model LFX31945 it might help you figure out how the wiring works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-i5KqMA2RZwYVpiNkZma1NubXc/view?usp=sharing

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »
Actually is a Kenmore but this model lg appears to be it: lfxc24726. Has the inverter made onto the main board which seems to have everything on it.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Class action lawsuit filed Oct 2018 that mentions your model and mine on last page.

There was already another class action suit that got dismissed last year.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LG-CA.pdf

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
I knew that there were several class action suits filed but LG failed to respond to them. In my case this is a "KENMORE" sold by Sears. When Sears does their volume buy on things they purchase at lowest cost they can. That means no warranty from manufacturer at all. The warranty comes from Sears. I know this to be true because I used to repair lots of tv sets sold by Sears. Even if the tv had a name brand such as Zenith and it was purchased from sears there was no warranty from Zenith. So in this case it`s pointless to hope to get any help from LG even if the lawsuit is settled.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
What compressor does your fridge have?
Mine is the FC75LBNA
I am trying to research a Embraco that will replace it.
I think I am getting close to a match but I have to measure the resistance of the pins on mine to see if the Embraco has same ohm readings or close to it, and then confirm if the height from mounting plate will fit in my fridge.
Looks like plenty of room side to side but the LG compressor on mine has very little clearance on top.

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
Mine is flb075lana . You are right about the low profile compressor.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
This is the Service Manual for the LFXC24726S

Shows schematic diagrams of mainboard and diagnostics for compressor etc

https://lg.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/ZEN/sm/LFXC24726S_01.pdf

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
Actually it does not show the board schematic.....ie capacitors,resistors ic`s etc. I am an electronic tech and maybe could mod that board if I had those details.

Offline iyala

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
guys i hate these refrigerators so much it is not even funny anymore. I work for sears and all i do is practically work on these pieces of crap. even after you replace the compressor sometimes it still doesnt work to find out the system is contaminated from the old compressor and on top of that I have gone back on calls about a year later where the compressor was replaced and then there's an evaporator leak and sometimes its in both evaps. im here checking out to see if there is something im missing when it comes to diagnosing these units when the compressor has already been replaced.  :tickedoff:

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 08:42:56 PM »
guys i hate these refrigerators so much it is not even funny anymore. I work for sears and all i do is practically work on these pieces of crap. even after you replace the compressor sometimes it still doesnt work to find out the system is contaminated from the old compressor and on top of that I have gone back on calls about a year later where the compressor was replaced and then there's an evaporator leak and sometimes its in both evaps. im here checking out to see if there is something im missing when it comes to diagnosing these units when the compressor has already been replaced.  :tickedoff:

Wow really that sucks. I guess the junk from bad compressor get clogged in the capillary tubes and restricts them then high side pressures go up and damage the new compressors. I guess the only way to fix them is to somehow do a flush on the lines before putting in another compressor and use a larger filter drier but only ones I see are the small driers.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Just saw this brand new compressor $100 same one you need maybe they would ship it to you.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/d/nib-lg-refrigerator-compressor/6733968270.html

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
That`s the one. Now I wonder if this one will last longer than a year?

Offline Appliance GOD

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 03:11:37 PM »
LG junk....
LG uses 2 different methods to control the compressor speed. One is to vary the voltage, the other is to vary the frequency.
They are 2 different systems, different controllers etc. and components are not interchangeable. LG lables both types "linear compressor".
Look on the compressor label. If it says something like 0-220v 60hz its variable voltage. (Voltage can be 0-180 or anything really)
If it says 200v 0-60khz its variable frequency.
Variable speed compressors will only have continuity between 2 of the 3 pins, the 3rd pin isnt connected to anything.
Variable frequency compressors should read identical resistance between any 2 pins. 
Hope this helps. 

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
LG junk....
LG uses 2 different methods to control the compressor speed. One is to vary the voltage, the other is to vary the frequency.
They are 2 different systems, different controllers etc. and components are not interchangeable. LG lables both types "linear compressor".
Look on the compressor label. If it says something like 0-220v 60hz its variable voltage. (Voltage can be 0-180 or anything really)
If it says 200v 0-60khz its variable frequency.
Variable speed compressors will only have continuity between 2 of the 3 pins, the 3rd pin isnt connected to anything.
Variable frequency compressors should read identical resistance between any 2 pins. 
Hope this helps. 

Good to know thanks.
Do you think a Embraco compressor can be substituted in a LG?
I found out that the Emnraco model numbers that begin with VEG, VEM, VES are all variable speed. The LG model numbers usually have 75 which means 7.5 cc displacement .
So I was going to try and put a Embraco VEGY8H in my LG because the specs for that are 8cc and it says ohms are 6, and the LG is supposed to be 6-8 ohms so I figured it should work unless there is something internally different other than the motor windings that make it spin such as the magnets or something that is changed between a inverter compressor that works off varying voltage vs varying frequency?

Offline Appliance GOD

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »
For the purposes of this discussion, Variable voltage systems and variable frequency systems are completely different. You cant swap any parts between them.
As for the Embraco compressor.... I tend to doubt that it would work. Even if its the same type of system (voltage or frequency) with similar specs it will be somewhat different internally. The LG inverter module wouldnt get the feedback its looking for and probably wouldnt even try to start the compressor. If it did start the motherboard would likely throw a bunch of codes and shut the unit down. 
While it is theoretically possible, decompiling and reverse engineering the control systems would require advanced skills in several disciplines and a lot of time.
If by some miracle you got the Embraco to work, the steel yoder loop will probably rust out n leak in another 6-12 months anyway.
Now theres a fun repair.....
Welcome to the new world economy.