Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Lg`s junk linear compressors  (Read 4324 times)

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: Lg`s junk linear compressors
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 12:24:25 AM »

Hmm interesting.

My LG has the FC75LBNA compressor that says 0-220v 60Hz so like you say it gets a varying voltage signal into a 6-8 ohm winding.

I read the Service Manual and the IPM chip of the Inverter board gets a feedback signal if the inverter is seeing over current conditions or open circuit no current it flashes the error LED

So my hope is that another compressor with similar ohm reading is connected how would it know its a different compressor as long as the current flow is within the range the IPM logic is looking for it should work (I hope).

Either way its a experiment and the Embraco compressor I am thinking to try is 1/2 the price of the LG and the Embraco (used in Whirlpool and GE and Frigidaire) seem to last longer I don't hear of the complaints about failed compressors as much on those brands.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
This interesting video the guy is running a variable speed compressor using a universal VFD Variable Frequency Drive motor controller that is normally used to control 3 phase AC motors in industrial machinery etc.

3 phase motors have 3 wire connections labeled U V W but this guy is only using 2 of the phases since it is not a 3 phase motor.

When I looked at the LG Service manual for my fridge in the section for troubleshooting the Inverter
B5. LED blinks seven times, then repeats (IPM Fault: A & E Inverters)
they show a schematic of the IPMI chip that is on the board and the chip has outputs labeled U V W but the W output is tied back to the chip to terminal Wfb (i assume fb means feedback). So essentially LG is using a chip made for 3 phase motor VFD control and only using 2 phases to run the linear compressors.

The video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VOMei7awo

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 01:28:08 AM »
My mother lives in Fla and her neighbor just bought a new LG fridge and the compressor went out already. its still under the 1 yr warranty.
They said the guy replaced it with a smaller compressor and told them that LG finally fixed the compressor problems. They said it is much quieter than the original compressor.
Anyone know if this is true is there a new updated LG compressor that will last?

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
Subscribing to this thread.  We got our Samsung (model LSFXC2496D) over 18 month's ago and there isn't a day that goes by I dread finding out my LG French Door refrigerator won't die a premature death.  I don't wish to jinx myself it also has the unreliable linear compressor.  I do now during the summer months both freezer and refrigerator compartment labors to keep temps 32 degrees fahrenheit and 0 in the freezer.  I just need 10 years out of this before I can get my money out of it.  No choice getting this LG as I got a deal too good to pass up but more importantly it gave up 23 cubic feet of space versus the 10+ year old GE (top freezer) which only provided 14 cub feet combined.  The LG is reliable however we don't have water or the ice cub maker installed which is probably why it is so reliable
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:39:32 AM by swong »

Offline jpeters

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
If they really have a good compressor replacement now I may hold out for one.

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
Definitely hold out on this especially if your old refrigerator is still functional.  Samsung, for example, isn't any better from all I've read in the forums...huge frosting issues and duckbill issues.  Frigidaire I would avoid at all costs...I've gone through 2 "new" different model Frigidaire's all dying in less than 4 years.  Whirlpool brand has been my most reliable as a home consumer however they are small and not very attractive ... good luck on your choice!

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
I have a 2017 Samsung side by side that I bought off a guy on craigslist really cheap because it that had a bad compressor. He got Samsung to give him a new machine and they tore off the data plate decal and cut the power cord off and told him to dispose of it.  When I ordered a new compressor the one that was sent was larger than the original and is louder but has been working for almost a year.

Then I bought a 2014 LG French door with the double access door setup (originally a $3500 fridge) got it dirt cheap because it had a bad compressor. When I took it apart the serial number on the LG compressor decodes to mfg 2017 so it has already been replaced once before and is bad again.

It runs and both boxes get slightly cool but the low side pressure fluctuates from 30psi down to a vacuum and then around 2psi and back to 20-30psi and then vacuum again, High side stays pretty steady about 100psi so I don't think its a restriction or the high side would be fluctuating and increasing but it stays steady.

There is no leaks since I ran vacuum pump for over an hour and then shut it off and left gauges on it overnight and it held vacuum for 12 hours so I assume the compressor is trashed only other part that might be bad is the 3-way valve since this is a dual evaporator fridge.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:21:37 PM by houptee »

Offline panlonya

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »
there are two types variable capacity compressors on domestic fridges: variable frequency (tree phase motor controlled by VFD- all three terminals have same resistance),  and variable voltage, called linear compressors, because there no motor, only resonance vibrator(only two terminals have 10Ohm  resistance). the linear compressors have fixed frequency like 53Hz, 56.5Hz, or 60Hz . you cant put compressor with different frequency. about LG linear compressor refrigerator- it very complicated and very smart device, but made from poor components and materials. if you replacing compressor, replace the condensation heating loop, and use vacuum gauge, during evacuation, to make sure no moisture in the system. yes you can put any compressor same capacity instead of linear, but you will have trouble led on the control board   flashing three times, but the front display do not indicate any problems, and all systems defrost, ice,.. will works fine. connect new compressor directly to board power input in series with low pressure switch set to -10"Hg. if your compressor have PTC starting components, or 3-in -one, you must add 5 minutes compressor delay relay, rated for start current, because if controller closes 3-way valve to pump down evaporators, the compressor goes into deep vacuum, and restarts shortly, after 3 way valve opens.