Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag ldg7314aae heating but not spinning, starting as soon as door closes  (Read 401 times)

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member

Greetings,
I have a really strange problem with my dryer tonight.  As soon as I close the dryer door, the LED light is on as if it's trying to run, but nothing happens.  BUT, I do feel heat.  When I turn the timer to OFF, in one OFF segment it stays off, in the other 2 OFF segments, it buzzes continuously.  What the heck is going on?? Thanks for any help!

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
EDIT: I just watched some random videos on youtube - I took off the door and jumped the door switch. Belt is OK.  BUT, when I give the tumbler a little help with my hand, it gets going like no problem.  strange.   However, when I turn forward the timer to "off", it shuts off, but still buzzes continuously.  Thanks guys.

Offline Dolmedo

• VIP Member
you can start with basic troubleshooting, break out your meter and start testing components.
David O.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
After "jump starting"the tumbler with my hands, it spins but pretty weak. I.e. If i put some resistance on the tumbler, it slows easily.  Bad motor??

Offline Dolmedo

• VIP Member
Not necessarily it could also be a belt causing it to spin slow

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
I replaced the belt last year, tension seems good, It doesn't seem like that's the problem

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
I can't put my finger on this.... at first I thought it was a motor/capacitor problem, because the drum won't spin unless i jumpstart it by hand.  But, still have the following symptoms:

-I jumped the door switch to get that out of the way. Before, when I hand cranked, the drum will tumble and heat would ignite.  Now, I jump by hand, and it tumbles, but there's no heat.

-Second, As soon as I plug in the dryer, it tries to start, regardless of me pushing the switch or not.  I removed the push on switch and leads are disconnected, and it still turns on soon as I plug it in (but no heat).

I have no idea how to diagnose this.  Can anyone help?? Thanks.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
Ok, I feel stupid. Hi-limit thermostat lead had fallen off, which is why it wasn't heating.  Now I just have the problems here:

-Dryer tries to start soon as it's plugged in, even with push-switch disconnected.
-It will run OK with hand jump starting, but not on it's own.
-When timer is off, it still buzzes continuously. 

From research, seems like motor centrifugal switch?? Does this sound right? And if so, can I fix this without replacing the motor?  Machine's pretty old, I don't want to spend $ on a new motor, but if it's a cheap fix or DIY, I'll go that route, as I've already replaced belt, heating element, and couple other things in the past couple years.
THanks.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Sounds like the motor, not worth changing only the switch as the windings may be damaged by the motor not running. That's my guess from your description. Especially since it will hum when the switch is out of the circuit, the puzzling thing is you say it hums when the timer is in the off position? There wouldn't be any power to the motor when off, making it the timer and motor. The motor switch would have to be in the run position to make it heat, and the timer would have to be making contact to make it buzz/run when off. So looks like both timer and motor.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
Sounds like the motor, not worth changing only the switch as the windings may be damaged by the motor not running. That's my guess from your description. Especially since it will hum when the switch is out of the circuit, the puzzling thing is you say it hums when the timer is in the off position? There wouldn't be any power to the motor when off, making it the timer and motor. The motor switch would have to be in the run position to make it heat, and the timer would have to be making contact to make it buzz/run when off. So looks like both timer and motor.

Thanks for your reply. I did a load today and it dried fine, but it's cumbersome because I have to keep the machine unplugged when loading. After i load, have to set the timer, plug in the cord while quickly hand jumping the tumbler, then quickly shut the door before any laundry falls out.  Then, when cycles finished, it shuts down as normal, but buzzes continuously until i come down to collect the clothes and unplug the machine. To clarify , when timer is at OFF, it buzzes, not hums from motor.  Motor works strong, so I don't think there's any damage... Is the capacitor built into the motor ?? Or can it be replaced separate. This would explain the hand starting, but don't see how this would cause the "constant on"problems. Thanks again for your help.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
Re: Maytag ldg7314aae heating but not spinning, starting as soon as door closes
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »
Motor.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
Sounds like you have a motor that is weak or the bearings are starting to bind up. The bearings are sealed and there is no way to lube them.  It also sounds like you have a control problem with the timer. Motors are expensive and timers are also expensive. You should consider how much  it will cost to replace these two items and if you want to spend that amount on repairs or get a newer dryer

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
That dryer is one of the best dryers ever made, the issue is that Whirlpool now owns Maytag and is discontinuing parts(too soon if you ask me) And there are Laundromat machines with the same design still out there built when yours was. They did at least 5-6 loads a day. So it basically comes down to your preference keeping in mind that the machine may have a future problem that may not be salvageable. My Maytag appliances are 18-36 years old and I will keep them as long as I can. If I were to buy a new dryer I would look at the Whirlpool made with the lint filter on top by the timer ( no electronics) as they are the least expensive to repair

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »
I agree with the entry just before mine today. The older Maytag, Whirlpool, Speed Queen, and Kenmore are indeed  the better units made and are easy to work on and fairly inexpensive to repair. The motors are usually the higher priced item to replace but are usually worth it. I buy, repair and sell these older units every day and they are good for at least 20 years. Even some of  the timers can be repaired. The newer designs are not so good and I end up scrapping a few. BTW  a dryer is worth about $5 at a nearby scrap yard.