Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Microwave shutting down  (Read 186 times)

Offline neustkg

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Dec 2008
  • Posts: 46
GE Microwave shutting down
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »

Have a GE microwave model JVM6175DF1WW.  Over the last week, it's been resetting power randomly (where you have to reset clock), sometimes shutting down all the way.  When it shuts down, I unplug/replug and reset clock, if it powers up.  Today it shut down and would not turn back on (we could smell something burning this time).  I took the top vent off and removed the touch/control pad and disconnected/reconnected all the plugs and put everything back together, and it powered up again.  But after starting it up again, it ran for 3 seconds and shut off again.


For this microwave, I've replaced the front touchpad once (about 2 years ago), and the two front door switches just this summer.  Not sure if it is worth putting more money into it this time.  I may buy a Whirlpool this time.


But if the problem is cheap/easy, I may try once more.  Any ideas what to do/check or what the problem might be?  I have access to a multimeter, but won't be able to get it until tomorrow.

Offline olyteddy

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jul 2012
  • Posts: 509
  • Country: us
Re: GE Microwave shutting down
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:52 PM »
Sounds like a bad connection at one of the Thermal Cutouts. Happens pretty often. Follow the wiring (unplugged, of course) and you might find a loose lug or burnt terminal.

Offline neustkg

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Dec 2008
  • Posts: 46
Re: GE Microwave shutting down
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
Sounds like a bad connection at one of the Thermal Cutouts. Happens pretty often. Follow the wiring (unplugged, of course) and you might find a loose lug or burnt terminal.


I brought home a multimeter from work.  There are two thermal fuses at the bottom on the touch panel side.  I removed the wires from each fuse one at a time and tested the resistance.  The one on the right had some resistance (basically was not an OL, or open loop).  The one on the left was OL, and no resistance.  Sound like that fuse needs to be replaced.  How many thermal fuses are there?  I think I've seen that there is also a magnetron thermal fuse, but not sure if I want to get into that part of the microwave.  i think I need to drop it down from where it is mounted and take off the cover for that.  Would a thermal fuse be the cause of the slight burning smell?  Also, what are the chances of having more than one thermal fuse be the cause?  Guess I won't know until I replace the bad one?

Also, could a door switch cause this issue?  I replaced 2 out of the three door switches not too long ago, but I remember that the microwave stayed powered on the whole time, just could not microwave anything.