Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kitchen Aid refrigerator - actual temperature is off and can not set  (Read 153 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician

Hello everyone, I'm working on a Kitchen Aid French-door refrigerator model no. KBFS20EVMS7, mfg. date: 07/2013.  When the refrigerator temperature is set to 38-degrees the actual temp will fluctuate from 28 to 30 degrees. (too cold)  This was checked with a digital probe type thermometer placed in a glass of water on the middle shelf.  If I set the control to 40 it seems to be better but the customer thinks (if it is set to 38 it should be 38).  I ran all the diagnostics to check out everything and also checked the resistance of the fresh food thermistor (27k ohms) everything checked OK.  Any ideas that you might have would be helpful.  My last thought was to replace the main control board, part no. WPW10319823 but at $140.00 I don't think I want to do this if not sure it will fix the issue.  Please help me if you can or let me know that they will just have to live with it this way.  Thanks

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Kitchen Aid refrigerator - actual temperature is off and can not set
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:42:30 AM »
assuming the damper is working properly, I would change the fridge thermister.  I have seen many on different fridges that appear to be in range, but are bad.  Its a lot cheaper  than a board.

If the thermister doesn't fix it, I would think the board would be the issue.

"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Re: Kitchen Aid refrigerator - actual temperature is off and can not set
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I'l do that (replace the thermistor first - before the board).  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks Again!