Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore model 110.72212100, gas, runs then when cycling back on fails to light  (Read 264 times)

Offline tcape

• VIP Member

Very strange issue. My wife told me dryer was broke. Runs but no heat. I fired it up and it ran for a few minutes then died. Was making this weird noise when the glow plug started warming up like a kind of metal screeching or switch opening and closing very rapidly, hard to describe. Then the glow plug went off and no fire. Just for the heck of it I replaced the flame sensor, since the noise seemed to be coming from that area. While replacing the flame sensor I notice the flame deflector that was attached to the burner was laying in the tube. Figured that must have caused an issue, so I located it's proper place and wired it back on till I could get a new one. Still doing the same thing. But it's funny after it heats up the first time it will not cycle back on, but if I let the dryer sit for 20 minutes it will fire up fine, then when it's supposed to cycle back on it fails and makes that weird noise. I'm having trouble trying to identify the exact location of the noise, but if I can, I would know what to replace. Anybody ever hear of this before?

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
Update- I popped the top of the dryer off while it was failing and the noise seems like it's coming from down around the burner area. Could it be a coil on the gas valve making the noise? Is there a switch that is making the coil have low voltage and keeps dropping it out and in. I'd really like to avoid spending 600 bucks for a new gas dryer when most of the parts are relatively cheap.

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
After further checking it sounds like the coil(s) making noise(kind of buzzing) so I have a set ordered. still cheaper than replacement even if I have to replace a few other parts...

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
The coils usually dont make that kind of noise when they malfunction. They usually fail to a non working mode. Suggest you look at other areas instead. The gas valve itself may be sticking and eventually popping open or it could be another  item. Coil failure is doubtful to make that kind of noise.

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
It appears that replacing the coils solved the issue, at least for now. What was happening, after a cold start with nothing in the dryer it worked fine for about 5-10 minutes and then cycled off. Then when it was supposed to cycle back on, at the same time the glow plug started to glow a buzzing noise was present. Then no ignition and glow plug went out and the buzzing stopped.

After replacing the coils from a cold start same thing, but when it cycled back on, no buzzing, the glow plug glowed and the gas came on and we had ignition.
My wife is going to do a few loads of laundry tomorrow, so we shall see if there was an underlying issue.

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
Update- So Far So Good!- several loads of wash dried and no issues.