Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Centennial gas dryer model MGDC 400VW0  (Read 96 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag Centennial gas dryer model MGDC 400VW0
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »

This dryer was given to me with the possibility it was not working properly. I dismantled it by removing the drum, cleaned all dirt out and checked all t-stats and the coils but found nothing wrong. The rotary dial control appears to be OK  I set it on timed dry and The igniter comes on, the solenoids click open, and the burner ignites but only stays on for a short time. I am not sure with the drum out if there is too much heat going to the t-stats to turn off the gas flow. It will turn back on in a few minutes.
Any suggestions or should I consider changing out the valve assembly ?  Need help ASAP.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Centennial gas dryer model MGDC 400VW0
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
Both of the t-stats on the heat duct were temporarily jumpered out of the circuits and the burner would stay lit. Looks like both will need replacing ?

Offline Coinop-Laundryman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:05:32 AM »
If you are running the dryer with the front off, the burner will get too much air resulting with a lazy flame that makes the dryer cycle off because the high limit is being heated by the flame.
Put the front on and temp check at the exhaust duct in the back.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
I put the drum back in and the front cover back in place but the lower t-stat on the heat duct tube still did not function properly. I replaced it and it now works OK. If possible both the t-stats will be replaced as time permits.
THanks for your assistance.