Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Rf28hfedbsr icemaker  (Read 1373 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Samsung Rf28hfedbsr icemaker
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »

Ok, not been on one but see already its a mess.

Customer replaced maker and did not get a D REVISION.
DA97-15217D.

MY first question is how does this icemaker sense bin level?
I dont see a arm..

He stated the maker will fill but wont dump unless you hit test button.

It has frozen  up before
He has the gaps that need to be sealed in cabinet.

So does anyone have the service bulletins
And detail theory of This Icemaker
Nightmare of operation.. how its suppose to work.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Samsung Rf28hfedbsr icemaker
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »
This would be the service manual and this is the last service bulletin of the ice maker.
                https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=20875.msg109063#msg109063

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
Thanks Dab, here is the bulletin mentioned at a appliance part pro Q and a. I searched the number of bulletin and it came up with your post  on appliance Junk.

https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=21130.0

I am still trying to figure out how this maker detects Ice bin level.  Looks like there is a IR sensor of some sort.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:42:56 PM by curjones »
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
Went out on call.  I suspect its a ice bucket level issue.
The forced output test showed the ice bucket full and its empty.  The icemaker has a black sensor on it and then at the auger there is what looks like a small light.

I believe the one that looks like the light is the transmitter
But also think I may be wrong about that.. lol

When I disconnected the connection to auger fan assembly
The maker went into harvest, dumped ice.

I have ordered a new auger harness that has a new sensor transmitrer plus all the other stuff on auger.
Here are some pictures.

Notes.  This is a new icemaker so believe senor on it is ok.

Any one been to a official  class?

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
Update. I ordered the Harness kit, its cheaper than the whole auger. I also installed the Y clip kit per bulletin on the freezing bar.  I could see the transmitter with the phone was lit.  The forced output test showed unblocked and then blocked when I blocked it.

Sealed the housing with silicon (bulletin)

And in about 45 minutes it harvested. Customer said he had a full bin this morning.

I have read online about these and many had replaced the whole auger assembly, and later on they failed again.  So I hope this wont be the case here.

I still would like more details  on where the IR TRANSMITTER connects to board, as well as the receiver.

On the print you get a block diagram.. ice maker with wires coming out of it.  The fact that the transmitter is on auger and again its not on print makes it hard to determine a case

Where the board is not outputting
And then you need a feed back ( input reading) at board to make sure you don't  have a bad wire
Or connection

So if someone gets some Samsung detail class with all the wire schematics  please post.  Thanks

Offline CFE

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:54:16 PM »
Update. I ordered the Harness kit, its cheaper than the whole auger. I also installed the Y clip kit per bulletin on the freezing bar.  I could see the transmitter with the phone was lit.  The forced output test showed unblocked and then blocked when I blocked it.

Sealed the housing with silicon (bulletin)

And in about 45 minutes it harvested. Customer said he had a full bin this morning.

I have read online about these and many had replaced the whole auger assembly, and later on they failed again.  So I hope this wont be the case here.

I still would like more details  on where the IR TRANSMITTER connects to board, as well as the receiver.

On the print you get a block diagram.. ice maker with wires coming out of it.  The fact that the transmitter is on auger and again its not on print makes it hard to determine a case

Where the board is not outputting
And then you need a feed back ( input reading) at board to make sure you don't  have a bad wire
Or connection

So if someone gets some Samsung detail class with all the wire schematics  please post.  Thanks
Do you have new update, Im having the same issue now, same ice maker but different model  RF263BEAE. load test showing ice full but no ice. service manual suggested bad IR emitter/receiver. so i swapped the auger assembly from my truck stock, still same issue. samsung does not sell the IR only. block test IR emitter showing no change of ice full status. so I swapped the main PCB also, still showing ice full status, I guess my last one is the ice maker it self which now I'm in doubt because in test mode the ice maker will produce a batch of ice followed by ding dong sound. I do not have ice maker in my truck to test it.

what is the ice maker black sensor do? will that cause ice bin full if faulty?
the red IR wire is connected to CN90 # 5 YEL +5V on PCB board. I dont know where the black one connected to but it maybe common.
CN30 # 7 pink PCB connected to ice maker pink #7
how to test the IR it self, is this just normally open or closed switch?