Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG LFX31945ST French Door low side in vacuum capillary tube issue?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline houptee

• VIP Member

Hi I got this 2014 used LG fridge in excellent condition the woman said it needs a compressor.
Found service valves have been brazed onto compressor suction line and high side on the filter dryer stub.
No pressure was in the system and saw dye had been added.
Used black light and saw dye in the condensate drain pan water.
Checked evaporator in fresh food section and saw dye all over the coils and dripping into drain pan.
Looked like the aluminum to copper transition crimp was the leak.
Checked freezer evaporator looked fine no sign of dye.
Ordered brand new evaporator assembly since it comes with the defrost heater and sensors and wire harness all attached so decided to go ahead and replace freezer evaporator at same time as I read the defrost heaters get weak over time and I had it all apart already.

When i removed the black tape sealant that they wrap around the brazes to cut the tubing i noticed what looked like damage to the capillary tube just above the braze it felt like someone pinched it with side cutters but looking closer it looks like a factory made pinch off crimped on the capillary tube so its like a tiny orifice made with some type of tool.

Looked at the freezer capillary tube and has the same tiny crimp mark you can feel it with your fingernail.

I wasn't sure if last person working on this did that or if it was factory made crimp.

I cut and filed and used tiny pick tool made sure cap tube was open (below these tiny crimps).

I used Stay Brite 8 to silver solder in the two new evaporators, pulled vacuum for 1 hr and charged with 134a 5 oz.

System is running low side in 20 in hg vacuum and High side 110 psi left it overnight running and fridge is hot inside.

Pulled power cord pressures do not equalize at all low side stays in vacuum with power off.

Obviously a restriction but does anyone know about these tiny crimps are they supposed to be there in the cap tubes?

Or possibly the drier is clogged maybe the last guy used sealer dye to stop the leak and clogged either the cap tubes or drier with it.

PS this is the LG that uses a reversing valve by the linear compressor to direct the flow to each evaporator.
Compressor sounds good and no flashing error led on main board and no errors on front panel.

Thanks!

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
Re: LG LFX31945ST French Door low side in vacuum capillary tube issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
I posted this question on another help board and this guy replied to me.

Posted by UmmScott

YES....LG puts that pinch in the cap tubes from the factory.

From what Ive been told, they put that pinch in there so you don't hear the sound of refrigerant flowing/equalizing during the off cycle.
Lg said to remove said pinched area and that should take care of the restriction.

That was me talking to LG tech support a few years ago. Idk how i even made it that far because you're supposed to be factory authorized...etc...blah blah blah...

He said on some units they over-pinched that area and caused too much of a restriction OR something gets stuck at the pinch causing a complete blockage

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PSzuHP8fRAiD7Z8YA

Photos of the crimp marks on capillary tubes etc.

Offline dewitt8884

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
Wow, I've not heard about this at any of the factory training. Thanks for sharing.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:31:53 PM »
I think the problem is the 3 way valve. What would happen if you just pipe these fridges and bypass the 3 way so it cools both evaporators all the time? Or will the main board shut down the unit sisnce it cant control the temps properly and throw codes?

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
LG dual evaporator training document and other LG appliances from a 2011 class I believe

https://applianceassistant.com/ServiceManuals/lg_fall2011_ha_trainingmanual.pdf

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:32 AM »
LG capillary tube replacement bulletin attached.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »
LG Linear Compressor quick troubleshooting guide. [/size]Written by a LG appliance technician.[/color]

Offline Mohammad Rashid

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
information on the capillary tube is nice and to avoid capillary tube blockage refrigeration oil can be used. if someone looking for xiaomi mobile repair services can check or visit the site.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
LG has a new compressor and software update that must be done to the mainboard that supposedly fixes the issues.
Part numbers to order one is LG Compressor TCA38091801 & Software Jig TCA35911910
Compressor has a purple decal and red decal on top warning about the software update.

FLS075LANA is the new compressor model number
It replaces these older LG/Kenmore Elite compressor versions:
FC75LBNA
FLA075LANA
FLB075LANA
FLB075LBNA