Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Bravos pump noise  (Read 251 times)

Offline chiraldude

• VIP Member
Maytag Bravos pump noise
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »

I have a Maytag Bravos (top load high efficiency) washer.
When the tub drain pump starts up it makes a lot of noise for a few seconds then it gets quiet and the water pumps out. 
I took out the pump and opened it up but can't tell if it is going bad or not.  The impeller seems loose and spins half a turn before catching. 
Anybody know if this is normal or should I replace the pump?
BTW, I can't help but complain about the quality of this machine.  The spindle bearings are going bad, the rotor retaining bolt recently worked its way loose causing the dreaded error F:51 and now I suspect the drain pump is going bad. 
My last machine was a LG front loader and is still going after 8 years.   Too bad the buyers of my last house wanted it as part of the deal. 

Online tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Bravos pump noise
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »
It's probably going out but pumps will sometimes be noisy for a long time before they fail completely. The bearing job on this is not bad but you should buy or rent the bearing tool. Put blue loctite on the rotor bolt.

Offline chiraldude

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Bravos pump noise
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »
Ordered the bearing kit with spindle and install tool as well as a new pump.  Pump is a cheap knockoff but I will hold on to the old one so I have a backup if the new one fails. 

When I examined the rotor bolt I couldn't find any trace of locktite on the threads.  Apparently the assembly plant can't afford it???