Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet WFW9151YW00 F6E1 Error  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Billdozer

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet WFW9151YW00 F6E1 Error
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »

My symptoms match: https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=19242.msg112664#msg112664

Very similar situation here.

I looked over the front control board and whatever unit it connects to. Every harness is connected well and the backs of the boards aren't fried or anything, they look brand new. Can someone give me a walkthrough on what I can do before having a repair guy come and cost me $500? I'm not very savvy with this stuff but I can definitely figure it out with some instructions. I unplugged the front control panel from the side panel but at this point I have no idea what to try. Everything I have read has led me to believe the Motor Control Unit is the problem but I don't even know where that is located.

Thank you!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Whirlpool Duet WFW9151YW00 F6E1 Error
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
That fault code depicts a communication error between the main control board up top and the motor control unit down at the bottom. Check the connection on the MCU bored at the bottom. Should have a tech sheet under the hood that will allow you to put it in a diagnostic mode and rule out other issues. I see a lot of loose connections on that motor control unit. Let us know what you find out. Try in the end removing the fault codes. Clear them out. Your text sheet will tell you how to remove them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:40:09 PM by haroldsappliance »

Offline Billdozer

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
That fault code depicts a communication error between the main control board up top and the motor control unit down at the bottom. Check the connection on the MCU bored at the bottom. Should have a tech sheet under the hood that will allow you to put it in a diagnostic mode and rule out other issues. I see a lot of loose connections on that motor control unit. Let us know what you find out. Try in the end removing the fault codes. Clear them out. Your text sheet will tell you how to remove them.

Is the motor control unit possibly on the top for this model? Every video I see it shows a box on the bottom but my washer has a similar looking box on the top while the bottom is pretty bare.

I've checked the connections to it and every harness is properly connected to it I believe. The diagnostic mode is giving me the same error code so I'm trying to go over the tech sheet but some of it is pretty gibberish to me, things like:

"Check the power cord terminals at the right position to the RFI filter"

I know where the ground switches are. I reattached the bottom and back panels to make sure they were pressed in. I'm assuming the CCU is the control board behind the buttons on the front panel. I don't see any obvious signs like broken/unattached wires or anything.

I had a repair guy come in and say he think the MCU needs replaced and that he'd give me a call with a price but 5 days later and no call and he's not answering my calls.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Billdozer

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
Is this the motor control unit? If so it's sitting at the top. Or is this the main control board?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:13:57 PM by Billdozer »

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline Billdozer

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
Read this old post. https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=11594.msg59911#msg59911

That explains it. Itís the combo under the drum itself. Thank you!

Offline Billdozer

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:16:43 AM »
Update: Motor replacement fixed it. I used one I got on ebay for $85 and it works great now. Thanks!