Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Water inlet dispenser valve for Whirlpool/Kenmore  (Read 639 times)

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
Water inlet dispenser valve for Whirlpool/Kenmore
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

Ok so I'm working on a Kenmore top load washer with a funky inlet valve assembly. Part number wp8028052. It has the usual hot and cold water valves, plus 4 more solenoid valve to direct the water to different places. It also has a thermometer on it for auto temp control. Super custom and therefore not cheap.

The thing is, the whole assembly isn't bad. The cold water inlet valve is pretty clogged, so the washer takes forever to fill on any setting except hot. On hot, the dispenser solenoids and ATC thermostat all do what they should.The hot and cold inlet is a separate piece from the dispenser assembly that clips together with o-rings sealing the two parts.

My question is can you find the bottom half separately? I'm not sure I want to spend 60 bucks on a used valve assembly or 110 on a new one.

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
Re: Water inlet dispenser valve for Whirlpool/Kenmore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
Well since I have nobody who will touch that question, I have another. Is there any useful way to get the cold water inlet valve to flow a reasonable amount of water? Hot water valve fills in five minutes, cold takes 45. I already cleaned up the screen.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:46 AM »
If you've cleaned the screen, the only option is to replace the valve.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
Part numbers seems wrong.You could try this like in this old thread but don't recommend it.https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=14954.msg78544#msg78544
Reply #5
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:33:31 AM by dab147315 »

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:08:24 AM »
@scrapiron,
While I was waiting for any responses, I tried to get the valve to flow. Screens were rather rusty and crusy, so I leaned the washer on it's front and filled the inlets with toilet bowl cleaner. Once it turned green, I knew it had done what it could. Blotted the stuff out with paper towels and caught the remaining liquid with a glad bag when I righted the washer.

Got the screens out and did the back flush by using supply hoses. One to the water supply and other to the drain in the washer box. I figured out long ago that left disconnected, an inlet valve will backflow on it's own.

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
No success doing that procedure, so I separated the halves of the assembly and removed the inlet part from the dispenser part. I rigged up the valve to a super custom home brew water heater pump. It consists of a heating element from a coffee maker in series with a positive displacement pump from a big green clean machine.

Using spare connectors from other whirlpool washers, I rigged up the inlet part and left the thing to recirculate hot juice. It didn't work. What I found though was that with the outlet plugged and feeding the hit inlet, the cold inlet backflows better when it's not energized than when it is. Hmmmm...

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
@dab,
Double checking the part number, I found I made a typo. The correct one is wp8528052. Oops, maybe that's why I didn't get any quick responses. Doh!