Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Recommendations for serviceable front loader  (Read 173 times)

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
Recommendations for serviceable front loader
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »

I'm retiring a fleet of frigidaire FTF style washers which preformed reasonably well for us but the ghosts in the machines have been increasing as they approach more than a decade in service. I've done several basket replacements when the pot metal support arm fails, which as long as the controls are resilient I'm glad to do. Frigidaire warranties the basket and i buy a new rear tub so i get a new bearing and seal. of course i've replaced legion door switches and several motor controllers that  had apparent damage. but now i'm getting ghost failures and it isn't clear if it is controller or motor or who timer. unfortunately there are a couple generations and it isn't always possible just to switch in known working components i have on hand.

i also have a couple of the maytag neptune series of similar age. I don't know if maytag still makes a version of this washer, e.g. MAH4000. It appears these had some controller problems related to the wax motor in the door latch, fixes well detailed in this AJ thread. Not sure if just prophylactically replacing the wax motor would head off the board failure or not?

So I'm not sure if this is a line I should pursue as a modest price resilient front loader. I'm open to any suggestions of lines/models that seem to be getting the job done. Especially with washers in apartment house service a decade is a reasonable service life. I'm not looking for the old diehard maytags that were going 40 years later. I just need that decade not to be constant headaches and what does pop up for problems to be readily addressable with good documentation and parts availability.

In some ways, I know, I'm asking in the wrong place since if the washers seldom need repair and are fairly simple to repair when they break then my fellow techs aren't going to have a lot of info in that respect. But I'm hoping if anybody has developed any affection for any approaches out there at the moment they could share their observations about machines i should consider. We operate about a dozen and i like to try to get into the same line so i can keep parts on the shelf and familiarize myself with maintenance for the fleet.

thanks,

brian

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Recommendations for serviceable front loader
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »
For reliability, I would recommend Speed Queen top load washers. We have been recommending them for use in group homes and they are holding up much better than other domestic models.
https://www.speedqueen.com/products.aspx

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
thanks for quick take. I notice they have three levels of speed queen washers that link more complicated additional cycle options with longer warranties. Since we do most of our own service I am not necessarily worried about the warranty aspect. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking this way if maintaining modern machines is so black box and frustrating and just get one with long warranty and make it someone else's problem but I have usually found it easier to maintain in house service and thus be able to respond directly to our tenants rather than operate in a waiting for the repairman mode.

I assume that perhaps I'm getting the same basic frame and elements regardless of which level TR3, TR5 or TR7 i buy? then i also followed the links for "commercial" products and don't find the same info on cycles and warranty but did get this model number: LWN432SP115TW01 . don't know if you have a particular speed queen model or line that you have seen in service?

the commercial looks similar to the home line. i'm wondering if this is the same frame and operation and spin speed, etc. or if there are substantive differences I should consider - which you might or might not know.

our machines are generally in service in 3 family houses with smaller family units (1 or 2 bedroom per unit) so the use is not necessarily heavier than a large family would make of a washer and surely i don't think heavier use than group home approaches. But there is not always a willingness to warranty the products in such use as they would be in so-called househould service. Perhaps the distinction between the household and commercial units is just the limits of the warranty as to the type of use. Of course this is another reason that buying a long warranty might not be that sensible an approach for us, but knowing that this has been a relatively reliable platform in 'commmercial' service makes it a better bet even if we buy the household style and provide our own service

thanks for any specifics or thoughts.

brian
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:32:51 AM by archibald tuttle »

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
I am not familar with any front load version of Speed Queen but I do have a Speed Queen top load washer for home use and gas dryer and believe they are very  reliable and easy to work on.
They are only about 5 years old.  They are sightly more costly to buy as new  than other brands. The front load models of almost all the major brands are very economical in terms of water use but I have several friends who bought them and were very unhappy with the performance. One went so far as to tell the Maytag dealer to come and get it after a few loads were run thru it.
Stick with a Speed Queen !!!

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
I checked with one of my goto supplies and he said the generation of speed queens he could recommend ended about 6 months ago. the new gen don't have proven track record and cost 2 and 1/2 times admittedly entry level fare.  Wish I had made this call a year ago and i would have gotten a half dozen of the older speed queens. doubt i'd be lucky enough to find a warehouse with some and get 'em shipped in. so it might be back tot the drawing board for yours truly.

thanks though for reporting your experience.

brian

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
You could try https://www.ajmadison.com They sell a lot of Speed Queen.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
Have you seen this guys videos on a lot of different makes.I bought the 2017 speed queen for my wife father because I found out Speed Queen was changing there design.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6U2ehnaPbI
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:40:45 PM by dab147315 »

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
The newer 2018 Speed Queen does not appear to be up to the job as compared to the older model. FWIW I just returned from my local dealer and he was told that the US military has contracted to buy all of the front load washers that the factory can build for 2018 !!!
My local dealer may be able to get a few of the older 2017 units but not likely.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
I put in 4 of the Speed Queen stacked units in an assisted living facility. Very well built machines and even though I used the home line they still had 5 year parts (1 year labor).