Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: New opinion of the whirlpool vmw  (Read 948 times)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
New opinion of the whirlpool vmw
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:37:31 AM »

I'm starting to have a new opinion of the whirlpool vmw piece of junk after putting my hands on the new Speed Queen washer. I've always said that the VMW wouldn't make a good boat anchor if it was crushed up and had a hook on the end of it. After having a run-in with the new 2018 Speed Queen I'm thinking that VMW might not be so bad after all. I had a brand new Speed Queen out of the box last week that did not work. POS

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
Re: New opinion of the whirlpool vmw
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Interesting.
Care to elaborate?
What was broken?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
This particular washer out of the box would not pump the water out. I didn't go any further as my only job was to hook it up but I decided to go ahead and test it for the customer. Go on YouTube and you'll see quite a few unhealthy reviews on this washer compared to the 2017 model which I thought was a pretty good washer.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
I thought they had only changed the agitation design.  Seems like the new one doesn't really agitate, the whole tub shakes back and forth.  I used to recommend them, not anymore until they fix it. 

i do have a customer with a full sized front loading stacked speed queen set, bought last year.  They seem to really like it. seemed to be very well made.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:42:56 PM by schleven »
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
I recommend the front load but no longer the top load. Although customers in the area (waited too long to buy  and they didn't know had been changed) and they seem to be happy with them. There is one cycle I think the regular eco wash they don't like as they don't get enough water to clean.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 08:56:12 AM »
Old post but was told that Speed Queen is bringing back the transmission domestic washer. Let's hope.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »
Doubt they can meet water and energy use requirements with that design.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
I just bought a used top load Speed Queen a few days ago with model number AWS76NW and s/n 0712021351. I was told it has a timer problem but am now wondering if this unit should be repaired ? It needs a new belt but I am concerned about the cost of a new timer. The timer p/n is 37922 P . Does anyone know of a repair or rebuild place for these timers ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:39:11 PM »
The sales rep said Speed Queen is going back to a transmission in it, don't know if maybe an auto sensing water saver. They had that before and it worked.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:23:19 AM »
Hopefully they will do it right. Some of the foreign built units such as Samsung are not worth the money . Does anyone have an opinion on Meihle and/or Bosch equipment ?