Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?  (Read 619 times)

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »

Hello,

New here. My Kenmore gas dryer has been causing an unburnt/improperly burnt fuel smell sporadically recently along with emitting carbon monoxide. We had the duct connecting the exhaust to the venting replaced but still have this problem. The CO has spiked up to 500 at times. Once we stop the dryer and air the house out (and leave for a while), it goes back down to 0. I was told that the smell and CO both could be signs of a faulty control board. Before I proceed with having a repair person come out, I wanted to see if, based on everyone's experience, that issue could cause the "symptoms" I am describing.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Offline dab147315

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Oct 2010
  • Posts: 4674
  • Country: us
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
Sounds to me to be more likely a gas valve problem. Whats your model number and how old.

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »
It is a 10 year old Kenmore, Don't have the model on hand right now. An entry level one, I know that.

Offline scrapiron

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 658
  • Country: us
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Typically, CO is produced by a burner that is burning too rich (over-fired). A control board won't cause this. If that is indeed the cause, if you look at the burner, you should see some black soot in the burner assembly. You mention an unburnt/improperly burnt fuel smell, which is sometimes described as a "kerosene" odor. This is a common complaint with gas appliances IF you have been doing painting, varnishing or stripping in the area of the dryer. The fumes, even if it seems to have dissipated, will give that kind of an odor after it is burned in a gas burner. You will smell it most strongly in the clothing after drying. The most common culprit is methylene chloride (CH2CI), an ingredient which is found in many finishes and strippers. If you have been painting or refinishing, the cure is to open windows to ventilate the area.

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
Thanks. We have not done any finishing or painting in the house in years, and the smell never really got into the clothes, at least not noticeably. It was just noticeable when you got by the dryer while it was running in conjunction with the CO detector going off. We had an appliance guy look at it and he said the burners looked good.

Offline schleven

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Nov 2010
  • Posts: 1130
  • Country: us
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
The most common culprit is meth..... and strippers.

always causing problems...
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline dewitt8884

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Apr 2014
  • Posts: 261
  • Country: us
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:50 AM »
Are you on propane?

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 06:43:16 AM »
Nope, no propane

Offline dab147315

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Oct 2010
  • Posts: 4674
  • Country: us
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Sounds to me to be more likely a gas valve problem. Whats your model number and how old.
Have you thought of just buying a new dryer for piece of mind?

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »
Ya, that was our end plan if nothing could be found. Our concern is if it isn't a dryer issue at all and we buy a new dryer and maybe it's something wrong with the duct or something (although we just had it cleaned). We had a guy come out once (who i have questions about in terms of ability in hindsight) and he said he didn't find anything but we still had the problem. Spoke to someone who told me it could be the control board, so i wanted to get some extra opinions before i pay for another tech to come out to take a look instead of just buying new right away. I appreciate all the info from you guys.

Offline dab147315

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Oct 2010
  • Posts: 4674
  • Country: us
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
It is a 10 year old Kenmore, Don't have the model on hand right now. An entry level one, I know that.
Lets say even it was possible that it was the control board it possible that it would be very expense part plus labor or even a gas valve would be pricey. Can you find the model number? And you say a entry level dryer 10 years old.

Offline rcblack13

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2018
  • Posts: 6
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
Ya, I am not at home now for he specific number but it is a fairly entry level Kenmore purchased in 08 (gift from the inlaws with our new house, I don't imagine they broke the bank on it). I am starting to think new dryer is the way to go (unless the guy who "cleaned our dryer vent" didnt do it right or something and maybe it is still clogged...). Thanks

Offline Thorning

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 522
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
I am not an authority on carbon monoxide but it is not something that a control board change will affect. The problem is likely a problem of poor combustion due to a gas valve problem. Gas valves usually fail as an on/off problem.  Replacement of gas valves is a pretty expensive situation. A lower priced newer dryer is a cheaper way to go rather than a repair. Also have you tried drying a load of clothes or even running it empty with the vent pipe disconnected  ?

Offline dab147315

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Oct 2010
  • Posts: 4674
  • Country: us
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
 :popcorn: What did you figure out.

Offline Atech

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 4
Re: Control Board Carbon Monoxide?
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
It could be that when the dryer is running it is causing negative air pressure in the room. The carbon monoxide could be drawn in from the water heater vent.

Dave