Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: "Poof" I hate it when this happens  (Read 293 times)

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
"Poof" I hate it when this happens
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »

Kenmore Range 790-94443700 Broil element went out customer said it looked like the 4th of July , It called for a 316203301 element , I went with the generic CH3301 . Now the broil element comes on red hot in the bake cycle and brought up a F10 error code  so I figured it took out the control maybe broil relay stuck closed . I ordered a control 316418312 that sub to a 316557237 and installed it ,  set the oven to bake and as soon as the bake relay closed the control went up in smoke , a small resistor under the large relay (DLB) relay on the control burnt up , this resistor isnt even on the original control . Im going to try another control the only thing I havent checked was the bake element I guess it could be shorted so I will check that when I go back before installing the control . I hate it when this happens . The range does have the proper voltage going to it and I didnt see any bad/shorted wiring  . What am I missing here ?????? any other Ideas ????? pretty simple circuit ,  bake element , broil element , control ,oven sensor . Im going to ohm out the sensor when I go back  but I have never seen a sensor take out a control

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
Re: "Poof" I hate it when this happens
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
Follow up , went back and checked wiring , elements , and sensor and all checked good , installed another new control and everything working properly now . It appears the first brand new control had issues .