Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ac capacitor Size  (Read 445 times)

Offline Ali00

• VIP Member
Ac capacitor Size
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »

Hi guys,

I have Discovery split wall mounted AC  2 ton,

Can you guys tell the right  capacitor size for it ? is the current one is the right size ?

see pics below

Compressor Toshiba ph340x2cs-4ku1

more info on this list

Capasitor  45/400 ?

The current Capasitor

50 mfd   370 vac  50-60 HZ  +10%  -5%

Thank you guys in advance

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:33:59 PM by Ali00 »

Offline Dockterpepper

• VIP Member
Re: Ac capacitor Size
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
That shouldn't cause to much trouble as long as the cap that's in there is not to heavy on the plus side of the tolerance.  Where you run into trouble is if that one goes bad and someone else comes along without the proper info that you have and all they see is a 50uf capacitor is bad but all they have is a 55 or 60uf and they say to themselves, this is close enough and it turns out to be a cheap Mexican cap that fails in a year, now you don't trust the last guy so you call someone else and all they have is a 60 or 65uf,,,,,,, you see where this is going?  It is always best to keep the correct size if possible but in your case you know whats in there and what it takes, it should be fine. a 45 uf +- 10% could read 49.5 but keep in mind a 50uf could read high as well and be within it's own specs

Offline dennispalmer

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »
I think you should go with factory size capacitor that would be the perfect capacitor for your system to run smoothly with highest level of performance.

Offline Dockterpepper

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
dennispalmer, that was pretty much what I was trying to say lol. I took it that he already had the 50 in there and was just wanting to know if it was ok. But yes as I tried to show in my explanation it is best to keep the original size for many reasons. If he has access to the right size, I would swap it out but if it's a big hassle to find one I'd say it would be ok.