Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag dryer not heating  (Read 1321 times)

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
Maytag dryer not heating
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »

Hello i have a maytag neptune dryer thats not heating. Everything works as it should except thr heating element. It has power to the heating element. Ive checked everything for continuity and everything checks out. Ive tried jumping the heating elements and still wont heat up. Just seeing if there are any uncommon reasons why a dryer wouldnt be heating.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag dryer not heating
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
The heating element should have the leads disconnected at the element itself and checked for contiunity of the heating element  at that location. Do this of course with the dryer unplugged. Also check for a burnt wire leading to the element. You will not get any heat by jumping the heating element.

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Ive already checked for continuity there also there are no burnt wires. Continuity checks out. Whats next on the list and lets see if ive done it already.

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
"Ive tried jumping the heating elements and still wont heat up"

I am not sure what you mean.
What exactly did you do?

Also I ma not sure how you checked the power.
If you checked it using Neutral/ground (120 volts) then that is not good enough as it can be confusing when you are in the 240 volt heater circuit.

Try flipping the breaker off/on slowly a couple times. Sometimes you can loose half the line without actually tripping the breaker.
Check the voltage at the wall receptacle
L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK
Unplug the unit and check the wires at the terminal strip in the machine to make sure none are loose or burned out
If OK
Check the power at the terminal strip.
Do this with the heater off and on.
Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!!

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
Ive checked power at L1 and L2 as it is 240 ive also checked the volts on each heating element. The one that has the wire coming from the motor and the one coming from the control panel both equal 240v as each one by itself is 120v. I tried taking the wire that goes from the control panel to the thermostat and hooking it directly to the heating element. This is what i was calling "jumping the wire". In theory if the thermostat is bad then it would of heated up the element. Before hand i did check it for continuity and it was good i just tried that to see if it would work. Ive also checked both fuses the one on the heating element and the one on the front by the air exhaust. Im just stumped.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:03:54 PM »
Model number please.

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
MDE5500AYQ

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
Do you have 240 volts at the heating element? If so bad element.

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
Yes i do

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
Than take element out of the dryer and it should be broken somewhere.

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
Its not broken for one i just put it in and for two if it was broken it wouldnt have continuity between the two heating element connectors 

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »
Across those two elements wires you have 240 volts on your meter

Offline ZMcb

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
Yes when turned on and running and when its off and unplugged i checked for continuity between the two.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »
Anyway you can take a picture of you reading 240 volts on your meter and post it at the heating element?

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:43:30 AM »
The one that has the wire coming from the motor and the one coming from the control panel both equal 240v as each one by itself is 120v.
If I read this correctly you measured 120 at each end of the element and get 120 volts, then add the two so you assume there is 240 across the element.
This in not a good way to do it as you have no way of knowing if you are measuring L1 at one end and L2 at the other.
You have to measure across the element and see 240 volts to be sure it is getting the correct voltage.

As an example.
Lets say that L2 is not there.
Using Neutral/ground as the reference side of the meter you will measure 120 volts at one side of the element (L1 voltage).
But if the element is good you will also read 120 at the other side of the element as the element conducts the voltage. This is also L1 voltage.

You probably know the below but just in case:
The voltage into the unit is actually two 120 volt supplies with a common Neutral.
They are 180 degrees out of phase.
So when one is at positive 120 volts, the other is at negative 120 volts.
So between the two you have 240 volts.
There is no way with a meter to know if you are measuring L1 or L2 voltage with a meter.

Also you say that the element has continuity.
Did you measure the actual resistance. It should be in the 8 to 12 ohm range.
Just measuring continuity is not a good way to go unless you know what your meter considers as continuity re: the beep the meter gives).
Lets say that the meter considers 100 ohms as continuity. and the actual heater resistance is 100 ohms.
Then this would work as the heater will heat up with 2.4 amps going through it (576 watts) but it will be very low heat re: a good element at 10 ohms will pull 24 amps (5760 watts).
But lets say that the meter considers 1000 ohms as continuity and the actual heater resistance is 1000 ohms then you still get the beep.
The element then pulls .24 of an amp ( 57.6 watts) and you probably will not feel any heat at all.

I hope the above is useful to you.