Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Replacing Drop In Cook Top  (Read 681 times)

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Replacing Drop In Cook Top
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »

Currently installed is a Whirlpool 30" model SC8720EDB-2

Replacement considered is Kitchenaid 30" model KCGD500GSS

Questions: 1. Will the Kitchenaid fit correctly and securely into the existing cut out without having to make any alterations?

2.  Will the existing exhaust duct for the downdraft on the Whirlpool work for the Kitchenaid?

3. Alternatively, is it possible to buy burner ignition replacement kits for the Whirlpool?

Thanks

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Re: Replacing Drop In Cook Top
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
Regarding determining whether the proposed Kitchenaid unit will fit the current cut out:

According to each unit's spec sheet if I am reading correctly:

Existing Whirlpool 30" model SC8720EDB-2 unit rough cut out dimensions are:

28 7/8" wide x 20 15/16" deep

Proposed Kitchenaid 30" model KCGD500GSS rough cut out dimensions are:

28 5/8" wide x 19 15/16" deep

If I am reading the cut out dimensions for each correctly, the proposed unit requires a smaller cut out so the question is will the overall outside to outside dimensions be sufficient for the unit to sit securely on the counter top with no gap around the perimeter.

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Replacing Drop In Cook Top
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:53:53 AM »
Looks like both units are 21.5 inches with the top lip.

I am not sure if the new unit will have enough support around the overhang as there is only 1 9/16 inch difference (21 1/2 - 19 15/16) or 3/4 of an inch all the way around the outside.
Depends if the unit is supported on a flat or if there is a bit of a down facing lip all around the outside of the overhang.
Also how strong the overhang is.

You could always just add a strip to the cabinet reduce the cutout depth depending on your countertop material.