Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Mod. WTW5000DW1  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer Mod. WTW5000DW1
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:31 PM »

Washer does not spin.  You can put it in Automatic Test Mode and everything works correctly except the spin mode.  The agitator, not the basket, spins very fast in 3 ea. one or two second bursts when it should be spinning.  I  hear the splutch click once when shifting(?) but not the normal click, click, click, two or three times in a row that you can hear when the machine starts to spin.  I suspected the shift actuator to be bad so I removed it and manually shifted the transmission between spin and agitate as I turned the belt by hand.  I replaced the shift actuator but still have the same problem.  I also checked the capacitor while I was under the machine.  It was good.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Joey.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Washer Mod. WTW5000DW1
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:29:09 AM »
I would suspect the splutch assembly, part#W10721967.  Give it a try? Not sure this would even set a code. 

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
Ok.  Will do.  The only thing that had me confused was the fact that I could shift it manually into spin.  No way to test it under load that way.  Tks, Joey

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:06:54 AM »
I replaced the splutch and still have the same problem.  I raised the machine onto some blocking so I could see the actuator shifting in Automatic Test Mode.  The actuator is shifting.  I'm starting to think there's a problem in the gearcase.  I also noticed some oil coming from the input shaft when replacing the splutch.  Any other ideas?  Thanks, Joey

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
Dos the basket spin freely by hand?  If not, check for clothes, etc. between it and outer tub.

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
Yes, the basket spins freely.   The wash plate turns during "spin" and the basket doesn't. I called it the agitator previously but it's actually the wash plate. 

Offline LeRayParateur

• VIP Member
    • Réparation d'électroménagers à Trois-Rivières, Bécancour, Nicolet, Shawinigan
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »
Be careful with using automatic test mode to diagnose a spin problem as it won't let the washer spin up to full speed. Manual test mode would be more useful for this. Also, you can try clearing all the errors in memory, then passing all the steps in manual test mode one after the other and see if an error comes after all tests.

When the unit is shifted for spin mode, when you turn the tub by hand, it usually turns the motor. The agitator also seems to move directly with the tub as if they're stuck together during spin, they can move separately only during agitation.

Maybe also the new splutch wasn't installed properly, usually you can spin the tub by hand just by turning the pulley under the gearcase.

Usually during agitation, it's only the inner part of the shaft that is moved by the motor. Then during spin, both parts of the shaft move together.

You might better see what's happening with the agitator plate and spin tub removed. The plate is only attached with a 7/16th inch bolt, and it's only a clip holding the spin tub in there.

You'll only have to remove the tub ring so you can slide the spin tub upwards. Then you can see the splines for both the agitator and spin tub going out of the gearcase. If the splines are damaged or the tub is not attached firmly, it can explain part of what you're experiencing.

With the spin tub removed, you might see this more clearly, just tilt the top of the washer back on it's hinges even with the lid locked.

Just for your reference, here's the exploded view and part list for your model:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/parts-for-whirlpool-wtw5000dw1.html

If the tub spins when you are turning the pulley by hand, but not when it's the motor, maybe there is a problem with the basket speed detection, causing the board to not engage full speed spin. The sensor is optical and part of the shifter, so if an obstruction causes feedback to the board that is too different than what is expected, it might prevent full speed spin or abort the cycle.

The first symptoms of a gearcase failure usually is that it gets noisy for these models as the gearcase mostly contains the bearings and all shifting mechanism is external.

Also, the gearcase is an exepensive part so you don't want to replace it unless necessary. Hopefully this will help you figure out where the problem could be.

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
I'll check it out.  I appreciate the info.  Thanks, Joey

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
You need a new qearcase/transmission. If washplate spins during when it should spin then the gears are stripped. I’ve seen the same thing and replaced the splotch first only to figure out I needed to replace transmission.

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
I'm leaning that way too.  Thanks for the info.  Joey