Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: MDE 5500 melted wire at heater  (Read 184 times)

Offline twmattox

• VIP Member
MDE 5500 melted wire at heater
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »

Went to use the dryer the other day and no heat.  It would run; just not get warm.  I tore it apart to inspect the thermostats and test the heater.  I noticed that wWhere the 14gauge black wire (33 on wiring diagram) connects with the heater (left side bottom of the heater tube) the terminal end was melted a bit and the wire was melted off.  I have cleaned the terminal end up (only a little bit of the end was melted) and replaced the section of melted wire and it all seems to work again.  Guess I have a few questions:

1) I noticed that the dryer vent housing outside was nearly fully clogged with lint.  Could this have been part of the culpret?

2) My initial assumption was loose connection creating resistance heat and melting the wire/terminal.  Most dryers I have worked on this connection was a post/nut not a push on connection.  Should I consider making this connection a bit more complete (soldering it on)?

3) The terminal end seems to be the actual end of the heating element.  Is it fine to operate it with a portion of the end melted off?  Guessing maybe 1/4 of the end is missing.  The rest of the terminal is clean, flat, present and seated well with the connector.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Re: MDE 5500 melted wire at heater
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
On occasion over the years I have seen these type of connections melted as you describe. The usual source of this problem is a crimp job that was not as good as it should have been when it was first made by the manufacturer or it was damaged by moving or pulling the wire /terminal off the heater terminal end. It is not possible to replace these terminal ends as they are part of the heater wire and are soldered with an alloy when the wire was new. If you have a decent amount of terminal material left on the heater side wire you may be able to fix this situation by replacing the terminal on this wire but be aware that these terminals are  slightly larger than a std  .25" faston and may not fit.
A clogged dryer vent is an invitation to a fire. Clean it out or you will have the problem again. Good luck

Offline twmattox

• VIP Member
Re: MDE 5500 melted wire at heater
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Yeah...I noticed the end was a part of the heater itself and couldn't be replaced.  I am lucky that there is enough material there for the new wire end to connect with.  I was more worried that I should solder the connection to keep it from happening again or something.

Already cleaned out the vent.  I installed the vent when we moved in (previous house owners vented the dryer into the crawl space).  Apparently I need to clean the vent hood portion more frequently than our old house.  No big deal...just a new thing to keep an eye on.