Went to use the dryer the other day and no heat. It would run; just not get warm. I tore it apart to inspect the thermostats and test the heater. I noticed that wWhere the 14gauge black wire (33 on wiring diagram) connects with the heater (left side bottom of the heater tube) the terminal end was melted a bit and the wire was melted off. I have cleaned the terminal end up (only a little bit of the end was melted) and replaced the section of melted wire and it all seems to work again. Guess I have a few questions:
1) I noticed that the dryer vent housing outside was nearly fully clogged with lint. Could this have been part of the culpret?
2) My initial assumption was loose connection creating resistance heat and melting the wire/terminal. Most dryers I have worked on this connection was a post/nut not a push on connection. Should I consider making this connection a bit more complete (soldering it on)?
3) The terminal end seems to be the actual end of the heating element. Is it fine to operate it with a portion of the end melted off? Guessing maybe 1/4 of the end is missing. The rest of the terminal is clean, flat, present and seated well with the connector.