Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: frigidare washing machine  (Read 191 times)

Offline joe.bagnulo

• VIP Member
frigidare washing machine
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »

My front loading affinity washing machine door stopped locking. I've replaced the lock and the bellows spring but the door won't go in far enough for the door lock to engage. Any help?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: frigidare washing machine
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Is there any damage to the front panel, or hinge?  Lift the door slightly as the strike goes into the latch.  Does it close completely then?  You say you replaced the bellows spring...before you installed the spring was the bellows fully seated around the door lip?

Offline joe.bagnulo

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
The door and the hinge seem ok. I can lock the door without the spring. The added 1/8 inch seems to hold the door off enough that the lock won't engage. The bellows seems fully seated as the spring really seems to only fit if it is seated.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
The spring doesn't add any thickness to the bellows, it goes completely into the groove in the bellows which goes into the lip on the front panel.  It sounds like the bellows is not installed into the front panel lip before you put the spring around it.

Offline joe.bagnulo

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
I'll check it again. what you say sounds right and I think I  had it on correctly. This all started when the washer didn't drain and the door had opened. Funny thing is that there was no spring when I started working on it. I can see the ring of rust where it was but the spring was nowhere to be found. Thanks for your input and I'll let you know how it goes.