Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Newer style Samsung French door frosting up in fridge  (Read 460 times)

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Newer style Samsung French door frosting up in fridge
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

I have seen a few of the newer style Samsung fridges that have the typical frost buildup in the fridge evaporator area causing the fan to stop and also some with the defrost drain clogged.  I have been using the water leakage kit DA82-01415A and it seems to work in most cases.
I have had two recalls this last week.  Frosting up again within a few months.
One of the model numbers is RF23HCEDTSR/AA. These are the ones that have the icemaker with the freon line at the bottom of it.

One of them had a sever crack at the edge of the ice room and we sealed that on our return visit.  ( i believe there is a service bulletin on that)  Not sure that would cause excess frost at the top of the evaporator in fridge or not.  I have attached a picture of what it looked like when I returned.  This is after I installed the kit a month or so back.

Are there any bulletins that address this issue on the newer fridges?  Any tips?
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Newer style Samsung French door frosting up in fridge
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:51:54 AM »
Hello Schleven,I have seen this same frost pattern a few times,and it looked they all had a drain problem.I would like to find out what caused that to happen.At first I thought it was incomplete defrosting.And then I thought it was the leftover water due to drain plug up condensed on that part of the evaporator.What do you think?May be other technicians have different opinions.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Newer style Samsung French door frosting up in fridge
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
there is no drain issue with this one.

"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"