Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Sears Canada to shut its doors for good  (Read 1381 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Sears Canada to shut its doors for good
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Sears Canada to shut its doors for good
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
Saw it coming years ago ,didn't stay tuned to business trends ,very poor customer service ,mismanagment by the suits that ran it . . Btw all customers who purchased extended warranties are SOL ....just a worthless peice of paper . Employees may lose their pensions

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
Message to American consumers = donít buy Sears service contracts and think twice before buying Kenmore appliances as they are just rebranded but most techs canít get support.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »
Wonder if Sears in the U.S. will soon follow.

Offline dewitt8884

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:19:24 AM »
I wonder if there's a connection between their decline and that of the mall. Every Sears I've ever seen was in a mall.

Offline Cevallos

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »
I wonder if there's a connection between their decline and that of the mall. Every Sears I've ever seen was in a mall.

That certainly didn't help the situation, at the very least. But I think their problems were much larger than that. It's a shame, I liked Sears.

Offline SumGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
I've bought 3 or 4 lawn mowers, 3 vacuum cleaners, 2 snow blowers, a large shop vac, several-hundred-piece socket set and other tools, washer and dryer and a fridge at my local sears here in Canada over the years, going back 15, almost 20 years now.  Time was, you get old enough to buy a house, you go out and get all the tools and power equipment you see your dad using when you were a kid.  For the past 20 years, both in US and Canada, 20, 30 year olds are being warehoused in colleges, universities or still living with their parents.   New household formation has cratered to new lows.   Commercial / retail rent in Canada is, I hear, crazy because there's no competition when it comes to commercial property ownership.  Nothing except the largest, biggest box stores can make money any more, and people are increasingly hating the shopping experience, slogging through traffic to get there, etc. 

Apparently during the first few days of my local sears starting the shut-down sales process, people were going crazy buying kenmore vaccum bags.  They sold through hundreds of packages I'm told.