Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WTW4800XQ Erratic Intermittent  (Read 1226 times)

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
WTW4800XQ Erratic Intermittent
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »

A few times over the past few weeks this washer has taken 2+ hours for a regular load, and when this happens it seems to be stuck in the wash mode and eventually completes the full cycle. Now it has hung again in wash mode - and all lights go out for a few seconds - then Lid Lock and Wash lights come back on. Agitator runs a few seconds - then it stops again and repeats what I just typed. Today it wouldn't finish so I held the button down to force it to cancel. Pump ran and drained as expected.

In order to rinse the clothes, I selected the Rinse and Spin cycle, pressed Start, and system hung in sensing mode. I waited and waited and finally changed the temp selector to Cold, and washer began to fill. I flipped it back to cool or warm and valve closed - switched back to Cold and washer filled and agitated for a few seconds but Wash Light is on instead of Rinse. (Why would it not open valve and fill when temp switch was in Warm position? Water pressure and temp are fine) As above, the Lid Locked light goes out and the Wash Light also goes out for several seconds - then both come on again (lid locked first, then wash - even tho I am in the Rinse/Spin mode) and agitator runs a few seconds. And it all continues this way without stopping after waiting a long time. Hold button down and force pump to drain, but can't get it to spin.

Let it cool down and relax a few minutes, Switched to Drain and Spin mode, and washer began to fill again, then Wash light came one and agitated for a few seconds. Then all lights go out, then come back on, and the same repetitive thing happens over and over. Finally, after another break, attempted Drain/Spin and washer did as directed! It drained and spun! Yay.

I have not yet entered diagnostic mode because my description above might provide enough info for knowledgeable folks to determine if the control board is shot, or if there are other common problems that would result in this condition. Washer has never been overloaded or over sudsed. Tub spins freely.  Help!

WTW4800XQ

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
Re: WTW4800XQ Erratic Intermittent
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
I have now performed a reset and a calibration on this. Will this clear and solve this problem, or will it reappear?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
What error codes had it stored?

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
I'm getting the Lid Lock and Lid Switch Error Codes. Problem has not cleared. Is the lid switch intermittent, causing the wash cycle to keep going since it never has time to complete before seeing the fault? Will the lid switch/latch fix this?

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
I should add that the Automatic Test sequence runs fine with no errors. This lid lock error only appears after I have attempted a normal wash cycle.

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
As a test, I have defeated the lid switch in order to make the system see the lid as closed all the time. I still have the same results, with the lid lock light and wash light going out, then 10 seconds later they come back on and the agitator runs a minute or so, then repeat the above. Is the control board defective?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:11 AM »
Put everything back as it was from the factory, then clear error codes following tech sheet instructions.  Then, attempt to run a regular wash cycle, watching what happens to the leds on the panel.  If the lid lock led starts to flash, it has set a new error code.  Unplug the washer for a minute, the plug it back in.  In a moment it will unlock, and you should be able to put it back into diagnostics and read that code.  Follow the suggestions for that error code, and you should be able to locate the problem.  Let us know what you find out?

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply. It continues to set the Lid Lock / Switch Error Codes after I clear them (and I check to be sure they are cleared). And the failure process is still the same too: Fills normally, begins wash, then a few minutes into the wash all lights go out, then return and wash a minute or so, then repeats all the above.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
These machine are known for broken wires check under washer at these points in this service pointer.  Check Capacitor too.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
I agree with Dab147315 !

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Would the broken wire and the info in the service bulletin about the basket thing cause this recurring error? And the wash cycle loop? I'm not seeing a test mode loop happening at all. The washer passes the automatic test sequence.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
If you clear the error codes and the same errors keep showing up each time you try to use the washer, you have an error somewhere in the circuit involved with that error.  If all the wires involved in that circuit show continuity (and remember, a broken wire will show continuity if the broken ends happen to be touching when you check it!), you might try replacing the most likely involved part, in your case the lid lock.  Also, part of that circuit is in the main board, but that would be a last resort. 

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
I have replaced the lid switch/latch (W10404050) and still have the same result. The washer runs fine until a minute or so into the agitation mode. Then all lights go out, as in a power failure, but they come back on and the system attempts to resume the wash cycle. When I run manual diagnostics, the agitation test runs a few seconds and then drops out - so it looks like either the motor or capacitor are bad, causing the main board to think the lid latch is the problem (since an AC failure can appear this way with the break in continuity). With this type of intermittent failure, regular electrical tests will look fine but when the defective item is under load (capacitor or motor) it breaks down and probably gives a momentary short (or open) as if AC blinked.

Does this make sense? Is the capacitor the most likely (hopefully) culprit?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
The capacitor (W10804665) is a frequent failure on these, due to the heavy usage it is under in this design, but if you have a good meter that shows capacitance you can easily check it.  If it is more than 4 percent off spec. I'd change it, but I'm not sure it would act like you describe.  I've found several bad caps reported by customers as water leaks!  A weak one can cause a loaded washer to simulate a spin in agitate mode by not being able to reverse motor direction, thus continuing in one direction until centrifugal force spins the water over the top of the tub!  Try keeping a voltmeter connected to the line and neutral where it feeds the main board while you start a cycle.  Does the AC drop out when the washer quits in the agitate mode?  If so, bad outlet or cord...more likely outlet!  Keep us posted!

Offline DaveLou

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Bad Circuit Breaker in Main Panel!! Gets flaky under load, power drops just a bit, and washer see a power failure. Since the lid switch is so closely aligned with the AC input, the control board kept giving me lid latch errors.

Replaced breaker and now all is well. Power is solid under load. Not an ancient house, either.

Note to self: When the customer (I was the customer in this case) reports all lights go out, then come back and resume, be sure and look for an intermittent power source problem before digging into the washing machine.

Thanks for the suggestions!